Reptile Oklahoma?

rocket

Hello everybody

I am a bit worried about the fossil I show. We got it many years ago and do not know much about it. As I remember it should come from Oklahoma, Permian. Reptiles. That´s it :(, nothing more. In my brain are some reminds name could starts with "R" for the Animal, but...

What do you think?

thanks for support!

2412_Reptil_USA_Perm.thumb.jpg.c4e7c70b52a0ceaba97ad29a08f724e7.jpg

2419_Reptil_USA_Perm.thumb.jpg.de4bef44028e32c25f2e5555dcb06518.jpg

2430_Reptil_USA_Perm.thumb.jpg.88d654b78efb28fccc1d90788c8a847e.jpg

2422_Reptil_USA_Perm.thumb.jpg.90d2ace1911a2db0e3080b9dfb1e6227.jpg

2415_Reptil_USA_Perm.thumb.jpg.5e2ca0058fda4e7bc752574d3982205e.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

:zzzzscratchchin: A couple of letter 'R' possibilities: Rothianiscus robusta  –  Cotylorhynchus romeri

Olson, E.C. 1965.

New Permian Vertebrates from the Chickasha Formation in Oklahoma.

Oklahoma Geological Survey, Circular, 70:1-70  PDF LINK

Reisz, R.R., Scott, D., Modesto, S.P. 2022

Cranial Anatomy of the Caseid Synapsid Cotylorhynchus romeri, A Large Terrestrial Herbivore from the Lower Permian of Oklahoma, USA.

Frontiers in Earth Science, 10(3):1-19  PDF LINK

Stovall, J.W., Price, L.I., Romer, A.S. 1966

The Postcranial Skeleton of the Giant Permian Pelycosaur Cotylorhynchus romeri.

Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology, 135(1):1-30  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I could be way off, but this to me looks like phytosaur teeth, reptile vertebra, and another bone from Late Triassic deposits of New Mexico. The teeth and matrix especially seem to look very similar to others I have seen. I could be off though...

• Thank You 1

both sounds fantastic, I checked in the net some fossils from this sites and the both look a bit similar...

New Mexico - Matrix is more like ours, hmmm

I can do more detailpics if necessary, thanks in advance for your help 

• I found this Informative 1

My first thought was also that this looks like the Triassic material from New Mexico. The short triangular tooth looks like it could be revueltosaurus - that might be your “r” animal?

Agreed this is probably Triassic and not from Oklahoma; there are a few synapsids with serrated teeth, but none look like that. My guess is the serrate tooth is from a phytosaur, as are some of the other bones. Maybe this was sold as Rutiodon?

got the ID, should be from Arizona, belongs to the Phytosaur Rutiodon. I found the ID on a notice in the paperwork that came with a really big bulk of fossils (approx. 2 Tons...) some years ago :look:

thanks to all for your help

e.g. what do you think about the bigger bone? For my opinion it looks like the tip of the snout, but I do not find a matching pic in the net

Edited by rocket

Hey Rocket, 

I have been professionally studying, excavating, and researching Phytosaurs for the last few years or so. These appear to be phytosaur teeth and probably a big phytosaur vertebra as well. The elongated bone looks exactly like the medial side of a phytosaur mandible. I went over the my lab and compared to a confirmed phytosaur mandible and they are identical. 

I heavily doubt that it is Rutiodon though. Commercial dealers love to call every phytosaur bone they stumble across as Rutiodon. Despite this, I have never seen one that in any way had diagnostic characteristics of a Rutiodon. So, probably not possible to verify the genera unfortunately. 

A very cool piece though!  

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1