Features of Tyrannosaurus Rex teeth

ChrisMouM

Hi, Dear guys.
I had a question about T.rex teeth I'm very confused by this question and hope to get an answer.
we knew a T.rex‘s dentary tooth that will have a pinch in one side with the tongue. 
how about a maxilla tooth that will also have a pinch on one side?

I guess that answer is not.

And about another question:

There is a tooth available online. Is it a dentary/maxilla tooth? and why. Please.

From Weston County, Wyoming, United States

7¼ inches (18.5 cm) in length.

Thanks guys for the help.

Have a nice day.

from Chris

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

Edited by ChrisMouM

Quick reminder to NOT name retail outlets on the Forum.

Also do not post ad-copy verbatim. Thanks for your cooperation and understanding.

• Enjoyed 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

A theropod tooth consists a crown and root.  A labial (lad) and lingual (lid) depression can occur on both sides of the root on both maxillary and dentary positions. These depressions can extend into the base of the crown but will vary by position and animal..  The resorption pit (rep) is what receives the replacement tooth and can extend into the lingual depression.

Screenshot_20221105_052034_Drive.thumb.jpg.add199931931eeeba554013f89940a8a.jpg

Interested in additional info checkout:

A proposed terminology of theropod teeth (Dinosauria, Saurischia)
Article in Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology · September 2015  Hendrickx 

Image I took at BHI...T rex Duffy.   

Lingual side think it was maxillary position showing lid and rep.   Depression in this example does not extend into crown.

Screenshot_20221106_042215_Drive.thumb.jpg.6442fe2ca268dbe657d26ec005b23e78.jpg

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Lingual side think it was maxillary position showing lid and rep.

Hi, sir. 

I'm s till not clearly understand for this sentence that is above. what means Lingual side think? We can check the lingual side to decide the tooth from maxillary or dentary?

Thanks

18 minutes ago, ChrisMouM said:

I'm s till not clearly understand for this sentence that is above. what means Lingual side think?

Tooth is viewed from the lingual side and I believe it's from the maxillary position. 

19 minutes ago, ChrisMouM said:

We can check the lingual side to decide the tooth from maxillary or dentary?

No need to look at other characteristics in the crown and what species.   Not easy. Nanotyrannus crowns can be very homodont so it's difficult to determine position.

A good paper on T rex crowns

Joshua B. Smith (2005) Heterodonty in Tyrannosaurus rex: implications for the
taxonomic and systematic utility of theropod dentitions, Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, 25:4, 865-887

And one on classification of crowns

Samman, T., Powell, G.L., Currie, P.J., and Hills, L.V. 2005. Morphometry of the teeth of western North American tyrannosaurids and its applicability to quantitative classification. Acta Palaeontologica Polonica 50 (4): 757–776.

5 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Tooth is viewed from the lingual side and I believe it's from the maxillary position. 

No need to look at other characteristics in the crown and what species.   Not easy. Nanotyrannus crowns can be very homodont so it's difficult to determine position.

A good paper on T rex crowns

Joshua B. Smith (2005) Heterodonty in Tyrannosaurus rex: implications for the
taxonomic and systematic utility of theropod dentitions, Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, 25:4, 865-887

And one on classification of crowns

Samman, T., Powell, G.L., Currie, P.J., and Hills, L.V. 2005. Morphometry of the teeth of western North American tyrannosaurids and its applicability to quantitative classification. Acta Palaeontologica Polonica 50 (4): 757–776.

Thank for your sharing. have a good day, buddy.