Lucid_Bot

Howdy! I found dozens of crinoid stems recently and most of them seem to have a thin layer of matrix attached. They were found in limestone, but I don't even know what mineral they've been fossilized in...calcite? Would I be able to remove the matrix with sandpaper and perhaps even polish them? Would sanding them remove visible segmentations? All help is appreciated, thank you.

1105221619a_HDR.jpg

1629.jpeg

Sanding will remove all surface features. Polishing them will do about the same thing. You have to decide if you want a decorator piece or a collection piece. If it's a decorator piece, sand away. If not, you want the least invasive prep possible. You can test the acid resistance of the crinoid by dropping a bit of vinegar on the exposed edge of the crinoid. If it doesn't bubble, you can submerge them in vinegar for a gentle acid prep.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

sometimes, but it really depends of the matrix (needs to be tonminerals inside or marl) you can use KOH (Kaliumhydroxyd) with a little bit water. This could clean the surface if the stems are not deep inside the stone. According to your findings I think it is perhaps possible with the stones where you can see the stems on the surface.

Edited by rocket
  • I found this Informative 1

Another possibility if the matrix is not all that hard would be to scrub the crinoids firmly with a steel brush under running water. All you need for that is some "elbow grease".

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/