tekknoir

Hi again, Fossil Forum!

I've got a stone which I think is wood, but it's iffy enough for me to ask for a second opinion. Found in Doña Ana County, New Mexico. There is a lot of it out here! Anyway, let me know what you think!

Size is roughly 3.5 cm wide, 3.5 cm tall, 1.5 cm thick at its thickest edge.

wood7.jpg

wood6.jpg

wood5.jpg

wood4.jpg

wood3.jpg

wood2.jpg

wood1.jpg

Edited by tekknoir

might be, looks like. Not absolutely for sure, but I would more say "yes" than "no" for the moment. Without finest details like cellular-structures it sometimes really not easy to say 

but a lovely one!

1 minute ago, rocket said:

might be, looks like. Not absolutely for sure, but I would more say "yes" than "no" for the moment. Without finest details like cellular-structures it sometimes really not easy to say 

but a lovely one!

Yeah, I haven't been able to spot any of those "hard yesses" like I have with past findings, but the other features look right!

Thanks!

• Enjoyed 1

Looking at the edges im actually in the no camp. Im not seeing any of the wood features i’d expect to see….

• I Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Randyw said:

Looking at the edges im actually in the no camp. Im not seeing any of the wood features i’d expect to see….

Yeah, it doesn't have the features I normally look for either like porousness at the ends. That's evidence for "no," but not concrete evidence as not all the wood out here displays such fine details. My evidence for "yes" is the woodgrain look and white spots that could be sap, but that's not concrete either...

For comparison, here is some of my "for sure" wood from the area which displays varying levels of "woody-ness."

wood8.jpg

wood9.jpg

wood11.jpg

wood10.jpg