Big Brook Fossil ID

Marco L

Hello again, I have two more specimens that I cannot ID. I suspect the long yellowish rod is a belemnite, but it looks odd. It has a hole on hole side, but no hole on the second side. The small tooth like object is small and is not hollow, could it be a Saber toothed salmon tooth?

Thanks,

Marco

IMG_2453.JPG

IMG_2454.JPG

IMG_2455.JPG

IMG_2457.JPG

IMG_2458.JPG

IMG_2459.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

I agree with the 2nd specimen being "Saber toothed salmon" or Enchodus for short ;)

Not sure about the first guy.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Marco L said:

I suspect the long yellowish rod is a belemnite

Second that. Looks like it to me.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 2

10 hours ago, Marco L said:

It has a hole on hole side, but no hole on the second side.

That is from the phragmocone.

6009607451cd8aaf8df0774b2bdfdcde.jpg

belemnites-abbreviatus-vintage-illustration-abbreviates-state-fossil-delaware-line-drawing-engraving-163219163.jpg  Diagram-of-belemnite-rostrum-with-anterior-end-cut-away-to-show-alveolus-and-phragmocone.png

e8dce4647bd10ad5fd770a6cccfbeaf7.jpg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 5:00 AM, EPIKLULSXDDDDD said:

I agree with the 2nd specimen being "Saber toothed salmon" or Enchodus for short ;)

I always thought the common-name was "saber-toothed herring", not "salmon" :P

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

9 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

I think they are more closely related to salmon.

• I found this Informative 2

Enchodus was related to lancetfish and lizardfish.  The terms "saber-toothed herring" and "saber-toothed salmon" are colloquialisms invented by collectors based on superficial resemblances; Enchodus was not closely related to either herring or salmon.  Much like the "Ginsu shark" (Cretoxyrhina), which is not actually related to Ginsu knives.

Don

• I found this Informative 6

6 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Yes I usually hear “herring” more often, but I believe I’ve also come across “salmon” before. I had also heard they were closer related to salmon, but maybe that is old info.

5 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Enchodus was related to lancetfish and lizardfish.  The terms "saber-toothed herring" and "saber-toothed salmon" are colloquialisms invented by collectors based on superficial resemblances; Enchodus was not closely related to either herring or salmon.  Much like the "Ginsu shark" (Cretoxyrhina), which is not actually related to Ginsu knives.

Wait! Wait! You mean to say Ginsu knives aren't actually made using Ginsu sharks? How else could they be made? :default_rofl:

5 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Salmoniformes aren't closely related to salmon ?

Where'd you get this information from? My version of Wiki reiterates what Don wrote...

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

1 hour ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Where'd you get this information from? My version of Wiki reiterates what Don wrote...

Here My version (vision) of Wiki is that I don't trust Wiki.

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Here My version (vision) of Wiki is that I don't trust Wiki.

Well, in any case, Aulopiformes are likely a sister group to the Salmoniformes so still more closely related to the salmon than to the herring. 

• Enjoyed 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png