Huge Fossil Fish Projects!

RJB

I know I dont post as often as I used to.  Death of my middle son has a bit to do with that, but I'm starting to get back to life and not just go through the motions.  After last xmas my oldest boy taught me how to Zoom and use an editing software program and I went head over heals with that and everything it entails.  I've actually been enjoying prepping fossils again and making videos from that prep.   Now, after some years, and with help from my youngest son I have finally cleaned up my garage and getting ready for some very large prep projects.  and yes, all this prep will be turned into a couple of videos even though they wont be done till sometime next spring or early summer?   In this picture, the front rock is one my youngest son found.  It has 3 large diplo's and most of a large Noto.  Ordered some new clamp on desk lamps to surround these slabs.  Second huge slab is underneath that SawFish that Im trying to finish for my son.  That huge slab is 2 inches thick, 5 feet by 2 feet and super heavy but loaded with the larger species of Knightia and all in some very good preservation.  This rock is called marlstone and about as hard as the 18 inch and also loaded with gastropods.  Gunna be a very interesting slab for sure.  I will have to count the # of little fishys on it someday.  I got this rock super cheap back in about 1995 or so from old man Tynsky back when he was alive.  Gunna be two very long prep projecets but should be a ton of fun too.

RB 

PB080467.JPG

• Enjoyed 17

:hammer01:  :b_wdremel::popcorn:

• Enjoyed 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I got my sons sawfish done and out of the way and my new lights came by UPS so I got those hooked up today.  Took a pencil and started to mark all the fish on this big slab.  20 of em plus a couple of maybe's.  A handful of gastropods that are all covered in matrix and not at all sure about how they will turn out?  There is also a couple of what I think are coprolites that are not at all the regular looking fish poops.  Those might turn out interesting? 

PB120361.JPG

PB120362.JPG

• Enjoyed 7

• 2 weeks later...

It'll turn out to be a beautiful piece for sure! Green River fish have a very aesthetic form to them and I hope you find a nice place to display it! What sort of tools are you using to prepare it?

6 hours ago, DarasFossils said:

What sort of tools are you using to prepare it?

Two tools.  My ME9100 and air abrasive system.  Not sure what media I will be using for the big plate of Knightia, but a half dolo half soda for the 4 big fish, after all the bulk rock removal. 

RB

On 12/2/2022 at 3:03 AM, RJB said:

Two tools.  My ME9100 and air abrasive system.  Not sure what media I will be using for the big plate of Knightia, but a half dolo half soda for the 4 big fish, after all the bulk rock removal. 

RB

Sweet!!! I'm looking at getting into preparing Green River fossils myself, but definitely nothing quite this spectacular yet! Good luck!

• Thank You 1