Otodus Obliquus tooth set - Assistance Requested

Elasmonut

G'day everyone, Im pretty new here so I hope this is in the right spot.

I am a hobby collector that is trying to put together a first row reconstructed set of Otodus Obliquus teeth.

I would love to hear about any rescources or examples, pics or even advice or opions from others here, to help me choose tooth positioning and sizes.

I have based my set so far, on a few pics of examples put together by other collectors like Hubbell, and Rathbone, and read a few old papers, but there is not much.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and I can provide better pics if needed.

If nothing else, hey just enjoy some pics of my Otodus teeth

20221106_093336.jpg

20221106_093410.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

Anyone with any resources for OP should Privately Message him with those resources.

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Otodus Obliquus tooth set - Assistance Requested

Well judging by the lack of responses here...I am willing to share my research, rescources and amatuer experience on the subject of fossil sharks teeth of any period or species, with anyone who is interested!?

Hello and welcome! :meg:

It looks like you've already done a fair amount of work towards your reconstruction. The best resource that I know of when it comes to this shark's dentition is the Hubbell reconstruction (with which you're already familiar), as I haven't seen much else published. 

image.png.f2bc9f4c8eb26e151e1537ca0efed2a9.png

elasmo.com (Also here)

I should also note that many collectors believe Otodus had symphyseal/parasymphyseal teeth. Looking at the dentitions of later, closely related Otodontids might be a useful comparison: https://www.scirp.org/html/10-8301644_39487.htm

IMG_2487.thumb.jpeg.4500fdb844c2437735a05f3405b54e17.jpegIMG_2488.thumb.jpeg.79115223840fcfe254e7de7f26d6b76f.jpeg

I look forward to seeing more of your collection - it looks like you've got an impressive display of teeth! 

Edited by ThePhysicist

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Thankyou, info is pretty sparse I was kind of hoping somone might post pics of museum pieces or such they had seen. Thanks for the info though, I am still in two minds about the symphaseal tooth, I am leaning towards ommiting it in mine as most Angustidens, Meg, and such dont show it. Though fossil ones do crop up so...for me it gets hard to tell a symphaseal tooth from the many pathological teeth that Otodus seems to produce.

Looking at thousands, of teeth lately I'm even starting to think there may be a "gracile" and "robust" version, but these may be evolutionary differences or even sexual dimorphism??

Thanks for the reply, Ill definately post more pics as I get it closer to "finished"

Just an FYI,  Gordon's sets are associated, so they are a good example of the dentition.   I recall seeing him many times, over the years, at the Tucson Show, going through associated sets that had +60 teeth. 

• I found this Informative 1

17 hours ago, Elasmonut said:

Thankyou, info is pretty sparse I was kind of hoping somone might post pics of museum pieces or such they had seen. Thanks for the info though, I am still in two minds about the symphaseal tooth, I am leaning towards ommiting it in mine as most Angustidens, Meg, and such dont show it. Though fossil ones do crop up so...for me it gets hard to tell a symphaseal tooth from the many pathological teeth that Otodus seems to produce.

Looking at thousands, of teeth lately I'm even starting to think there may be a "gracile" and "robust" version, but these may be evolutionary differences or even sexual dimorphism??

Thanks for the reply, Ill definately post more pics as I get it closer to "finished"

In the Early Eocene phosphates of Morocco, a number of associated partial dentitions have been found so you might see some of those online - photos from private collections.  Other than that, I wouldn't expect that you would find much.  As you've learned, building an artificial dentition is a rough sport.  I know several people who have started but it's tough to find teeth of the right size once you've committed to an overall size based on the anterior teeth even after looking at hundreds of teeth.

There have been some Otodus artificial dentitions for sale from time to time so you could look got one of those and decide what you like or don't like about it.  The Florida Museum of Natural History has some artificial dentitions on display but I don't remember an Otodus one.  It's possible the Buena Vista Museum in Bakersfield, California has one.  The Parotodus dentntion from Lee Creek could be a general reference on positions since Parotodus was a descendant of Otodus.

I wouldn't base the absence of a parasymphyseal position in Otodus on the absence of it in Carcharocles.  Gordon Hubbell has a Carcharocles parasymphyseal from the Middle Eocene of Kazakhstan and a few collectors have a specimen from various sites.   Parotodus also had it.  The position was already vestigial by the Early Eocene (not every Otodus individual would have had it) so it would be even more rare in Oligocene-Miocene deposits.  Still, you don't really need to account for it since it was not a position present in every individual.

Good luck!

Thankyou, thankyou,thankyou, this is the kind of reply I was hoping for. I'm aware that a few collectors have nice sets, and was hoping to see some pics here, still am, hint,hint?anyone?

"Artificial" dentition is probably a better way to describe what I am doing. I will look further into the parasympyseal subject, in Carcharocles and Paratodus is a good suggestion. I will try and contact some of the museums you mentioned and see what I can find out, good suggestions!

I am also curious about opinions or evidence for the first lower primary being slightly shorter than the second, I see it in a few reconstructions but not so much in modern Odotids or even Lamna sp.

I realise this is a tough project but I was hoping to learn along the way, and am happy to talk about sharks teeth with anyone who will listen.

So thanks again for the relpies and advice, I'll post more pics soon, and am open to critique as well, as I said I'm trying to learn. I am no academic and don't have a Phd in this stuff, just 40 years of keen interest.