This one is big!

ChrisSarahRox

This one was found about 1 meter under the soil in Hidalgo County NM while digging for irrigation piping. The area is from the Maastrichtian epoch as far as my research has lead me. It was found directly beneath the soil where my " ocean dwellers" post was found. It's very heavy for it's size, maybe 40 lbs or more. 

I have spent many hours with this monster perched on my lap and with small tools and nylon brushes (very very carefully)trying to reveal as much as it shows. 

20221110_222756.jpg

20221110_222850.jpg

20221110_222918.jpg

20221110_223051.jpg

20221110_223042.jpg

20221110_223158.jpg

20221110_223218.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

9 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

Nice piece!  I think they are rugose corals but wait for expert opinion.

Thank you! I've put a lot of work into it and it's fallen on my toes a time or two and I realized something, I still love the heck out of this field of science! 

• Enjoyed 2

Someday,  you will stop and look around your house at the buckets, cans, boxes, Tupperware, fish bowl, tins, wastebasket, dog bowl, cake pans, and milk crates filled with hundreds of pounds of rocks and fossils and realize there is no turning back and you can never move. :)

• Enjoyed 2

30 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

Someday,  you will stop and look around your house at the buckets, cans, boxes, Tupperware, fish bowl, tins, wastebasket, dog bowl, cake pans, and milk crates filled with hundreds of pounds of rocks and fossils and realize there is no turning back and you can never move. :)

As I read this I was looking around my "rock dungeon" laughing and thinking truer words have never been written! Thank you Loan Hunter, I needed that laugh. 

• Enjoyed 1

I'm also not an expert, but I do know for sure that those are corals, although if they come out of the Maastrichtian they can't be rugose, since they died out in the Late Permian.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 hour ago, Lone Hunter said:

:heartylaugh:

Fact

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Just now, Rockwood said:

Is it safe to assume that bedrock was not being displaced ?

Your assumption is correct, this piece seemed to be alone as far as fossils go but with a few other softball to soccer ball sizes of "ordinary" rocks. 

Thanks. Now I feel more confident in saying that this sure look like rugose coral to me. Things may have been much different around there at some time allowing some kind of transport of the material.

12 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Thanks. Now I feel more confident in saying that this sure look like rugose coral to me. Things may have been much different around there at some time allowing some kind of transport of the material.

Well now I feel compelled to ask a question that may not be the smartest but I'll ask regardless, is it possible for it to have been "transported" by means of maybe violent ejection? 

44 minutes ago, ChrisSarahRox said:

Well now I feel compelled to ask a question that may not be the smartest but I'll ask regardless, is it possible for it to have been "transported" by means of maybe violent ejection? 

Seems unlikely.  However, it does seem like there was that whole nuclear testing thing somewhere in the southwest ?  

15 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

I wouldn't think so, usually that refers to glacial deposits or carried by water and sometimes by people. 

I see, then that would explain the others I just added to this thread yes? And still only a small fraction of what still remains on the surface and just below. 

Just now, ChrisSarahRox said:

I see, then that would explain the others I just added to this thread yes? And still only a small fraction of what still remains on the surface and just below. 

Correction, I added photos to my previous post.