Psittacosaurus skeleton - so many questions

MrMosu

Hello TFF,

Former lurker here, now fresh newbie.

I've stumbled across a Psittacosaurus skeleton that seems too good to be true and I'd like to ask for your opinion(s).

It looks real to me. No clear origin, sold from Taiwan, length 1.2 meters, weight 3.5kg (mistake, red flag or nothing?). I've asked for additional details (that I will or won't get), but meanwhile I can't decide if it's real and I'm paranoid or ... not :) 

So, what do you make of this specimen? Anything suspicious or noteworthy about it?

Any input would help, thank you!

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

Very difficult to analyze this with obtuse photos and limited number but this is my rough analysis.  Should be hand evaluated and not with photos.

Most of these sold are composites has evident by :

Left and right bones look different or appear to be a different size

- Scapula

- Humerus

- Ischium

Proportions look off

- Skull looks bigger than it should be

- Radius//Ulna look small compared to Humerus should be about 70 %

- Humerus should be a bit smaller than Scapula (Less coracoid) so one looks reasonable not the other.  Could be the angle of the shot.

Bones which appear missing:

-LF and RT sternal plate

-LF and RT pubis

-All Chevrons

-RT Femur (I think it has two left ones)

-Should be at least + 14 ribs counting 11

Resto

Hard to tell without a UV light and closeup of each bone.  The jugal horns on the skull are questionable but hard to say

• Enjoyed 1

Wow, thank you for such an exhaustive analysis and the involuntary anatomy lesson! I'm speechless ... so I'll continue in writing :)

That's a lot to take in, but now that you so kindly pointed out the differences and the missing bones, it perfectly explains the low estimate. I had only noticed the suspect restoration on the jugals (especially the right one), the left tibia, and the "right" femur (to me both looked badly made from pieces). Man, was I off!

This has been such an enlightening experience. I'm not even exaggerating, I was only looking for details and was completely missing the big picture. Now of course I can't unsee all the glaring differences and discrepancies. Again wow and thank you!