Snails in Petrified Wood

Mikeydoeswork

On 11/5/2015 at 10:02 AM, GeschWhat said:

I LOVE petrified wood with insect traces! Any chance you could get it under a microscope? From the center picture, I would guess the feature at 10 o'clock in the center photo is a silicified burrow. If you could get it under a microscope you would probably see the crystal structure. The resolution of the closeup of the other structure isn't clear enough to tell what it is. It could be backfill/frass from an insect, algae, fungi, or maybe an egg/pupa casing as you suggest. If it is coprolite, it would have to be a cluster of them and would be easily distinguishable under a scope.

I found a piece of petrified wood that looks very similar to this that has sap and a couple tiny snails  eating the sap from what it looks like. I polished a small section of it and it’s like a mirror graphite color. Anyway, I can post some images here soon if anyone is still around and interested to see. Really just looking to learn more about it if possible!

No idea what I’m doing here so just going to post here and then I’ll figure out how to post a new one…

But it looks like he (the snail) was fixin’ to get some grub, and then the great flood came and brought instantaneous death. Died happy and that’s more than what we can ask of it. From what I’ve researched, they eat sap. Not sure what the other thing is there with the long spike, I need a microscope.

1C73E79A-21F6-4D99-9AA8-87CD7291AE0E.jpeg

FFE86E93-1BF8-4217-A2BA-55103374E7C5.png

06A079EE-CEDF-4947-BFAF-FADBF7C30DEF.jpeg

A3E4E5CF-E4DA-46AE-B073-20A91FE143DE.jpeg

B941FA0B-D90E-4C2B-A489-AF2C36CB5F17.png

E084E1D3-7856-4024-A08F-19E24A9DEC29.jpeg

8DFF283A-BF7C-419E-A947-569E1C3110BC.jpeg

Found this in a creek bed in NE Ohio. Looks like he (the snail) was fixin’ to get some grub, and then the great flood came and brought instantaneous death. Died happy and that’s more than what we can ask from life. From what I’ve researched, they eat sap. Not sure what the other thing is there with the long spike looking thing, I need a microscope.

Anyway, is it possible to identify the type of wood/snail from the pictures? I was thinking wood was Jet because it polishes up into a graphite color and it streaks brown against porcelain. Also it kind of looks like it has a leaf or something on it too… curious as to what period this could have come from… any info would be awesome! Thanks! 

BDEC40D4-0E59-44A0-81A9-5FDA90A5207E.jpeg

28029311-A7F5-473E-920B-77D09FD97775.png

C83B77C6-1F68-4AA5-8FFD-D7CCBE57B94F.jpeg

9F7C5AA6-DEAE-4169-AC52-3717B4388776.png

F0C45760-D730-4F6A-9046-71508891FA5D.jpeg

C11EEAC8-A6BD-4DC7-AF18-2B230AD20B07.jpeg

BE1CA1BA-DD97-4D21-ACEA-8D76D0DD1B27.jpeg

AF261F94-9A3B-4196-9D13-EA975B096FD2.jpeg

7AB65560-46BD-4504-8E5F-365765A84249.jpeg

@Mikeydoeswork

I've split your posts into your own topic.  You can add replies and photos below.

It would be useful to have a general location or geologic formation where this was found.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I could be wrong but what you think are snails I think is actually the sap or some other substance. Soft tissue like a snail just wouldn't preserve like that. You could do a test by sticking a hot needle into the 'snail' and see if it gives or has a smell or is it hard like the rest of the wood which I'm not even sure is wood.

Edited by Lone Hunter
  • I Agree 1

My first thought is to grab the chipping hammer. This looks like slag to me. :) One needs to remove it before building on a metal welds, but it is also a byproduct of iron/steel production.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 3

Well, I cracked it open assuming it was nothing… maybe this will help determine a conclusive resolution? It’s full of bubbles, and being that I found it in a creek (private farm) but a couple hundred yards from a railroad bridge that runs across the creek on the property, the slag argument made sense. But I’m still open to hearing more! If there’s a long standing member here willing to take a look at it with a microscope, I’ll be happy to ship. 

1 hour ago, Mikeydoeswork said:

Well, I cracked it open assuming it was nothing… maybe this will help determine a conclusive resolution? It’s full of bubbles, and being that I found it in a creek (private farm) but a couple hundred yards from a railroad bridge that runs across the creek on the property, the slag argument made sense. But I’m still open to hearing more! If there’s a long standing member here willing to take a look at it with a microscope, I’ll be happy to ship. 

042FC9EF-D797-47D8-BB54-1DE2CDBAE11E.jpeg

96ADB52A-E173-436B-A2BE-CFBC376B02D9.jpeg

Yup, that's slag.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

You may get something like this when you burn coal. The carbon burns leaving other minerals in place and pieces of burned coal have a bit of a melted look (high temperature melts the rest of material). The bubbles can form when gasses are expanding the material. My guess is that it came as a byproduct of coal burned to make locomotive engine moving. Similar rocks can also be found when iron ore is melted to extract iron. Heavy metal ends up at the bottom and all contaminants are floating at the top, full of gases. The top gets discarded and is turned in rocks resembling pumice. 

• I found this Informative 1