Rock, Bone, or Native American Tool?

Dmgs11

Found at Sandy Hook in the Atlantic Highlands area on a bay side beach.. any thoughts?

I haven't done the tongue test, but it does seem to 'stick' to a damp finger. 

20221108_112528.jpg

20221108_113618.jpg

20221108_113641.jpg

20221108_112451.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

That's one of those odd ones all right. I've been shown many bone/pseudo-bone rocks and some are just really difficult to determine and ID even when holding the specimen in hand. Much more difficult from photos alone. Were there other rocks of this type on the beach? Is this beach known for having fossil material found there? These answers might help to gauge the probability of this being very worn bone rather than rock.

I'd say from the images that I'm leaning toward a finely grained sedimentary rock over bone for three reasons. The shape is quite odd and unlike any bone that comes to mind. Secondly, there seems to be fracture lines running through the rock that look more reminiscent of geologic cracks than those found when bone gets crushed during the fossilization process. And finally, I think I can detect laminar layering in this rock that would indicate sedimentary rock. If bone has layering it tends to be concentric growth rings as can often be seen in dugong rib bones.

I see no signs that this would have been used or fashioned by Native Americans. They tended to use more silica rich rocks that could be knapped to provide a sharp edge for cutting/scraping. I am not at all familiar with the beach rocks in New Jersey so I'm hoping some members who are more local can weigh in on a more authoritative opinion on the types of rocks that can be found in the area.

We've got a great membership here with a diverse knowledge and hopefully you'll get a more precise diagnosis soon.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks Ken. I actually found this one as well on the same day. The Monmouth county area is known for fossils as well as Native American artifacts. 

20221113_100446.jpg

20221113_100459.jpg

20221113_100505.jpg

20221113_100512.jpg

2 minutes ago, Dmgs11 said:

The Monmouth county area is known for fossils as well as Native American artifacts. 

Good to know.

Neither of these appear to be artifacts but the jury remains out on bone/stone and hopefully someone with more experience in that region will spot this post and follow up with something more authoritative. If these initial finds don't prove to be fossil I hope this doesn't discourage you. You obviously have the eye for spotting unusual rocks and curiosity and search image are key to making a good fossil hunter.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1