rawfossils

From the Pierre Shale of Fort Collins. Found next to a lot of Inoceramus bivalves not too often you see something like this. I initially believed it was a branch of wood that was buried but I'm thinking it could be a rib bone most likely from a mosasaurus. Any feedback is appreciated just thought someone should look at it.

PXL_20221115_004411316.jpg

PXL_20221115_004448052.jpg

PXL_20221115_004441147_MP.jpg

can we have some closer pics of the detail of the "grain" and also of the broken end? Regardless, I am strongly leaning towards weathered bone so far, and rib is certainly a candidate, but with its asymmetrical irregularities closer photos would put me at ease

Edited by Jared C
  • I found this Informative 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

8 hours ago, Jared C said:

can we have some closer pics of the detail of the "grain" and also of the broken end? Regardless, I am strongly leaning towards weathered bone so far, and rib is certainly a candidate, but with its asymmetrical irregularities closer photos would put me at ease

Sorry for low quality images all I have is my phone camera and flash. Texture seems similar to wood but the shape and black calcite in the middle makes me think it's bone 

PXL_20221115_142059215.jpg

PXL_20221115_142040487.jpg

PXL_20221115_142153194.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Try getting a photo of the 'black middle'.  I agree with @Jared C that this is bone.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

10 minutes ago, rawfossils said:

Heres some other photos.

Interesting...I have not seen that type of preservation in Cretaceous bone.  Are you sure it is calcite?  Could it be gypsum?

@jpc

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

This is a tough one to see in pix.  I would need to see it in person to make a confident call, but based on the lack of internal bone-ish structure (that I can see) I am leaning towards wood.  Also the insides looks fairly charcoaly.   Interesting find for the Pierre Shale. 

Edited by jpc
  • I found this Informative 4
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Interesting...I have not seen that type of preservation in Cretaceous bone.  Are you sure it is calcite?  Could it be gypsum?

@jpc

Just assuming it's calcite based on other crystals I've found. Could very well be gypsum I'm not very educated with minerals