No Geological Information

Lucid_Bot

Hi, I don't have any information on this specimen since I believe the rock that I found it in is foreign to the area I discovered it. Although I think the rock is from somewhere around the Western Pennsylvania/Eastern Ohio area. It is approximately 2.6 cm by 2 cm. Just hoping someone has some idea what it is. Thanks again.

1659.jpeg

1657.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

I'd have to disagree with @Ludwigia, I think this looks more like a productid brachiopod valve, it's partially exposed giving it the asymmetrical appearance of a bivalve.

Maybe something like Echinaria sp.? Although I am not great at identifying productids.

@Tidgy's Dad may be able to tell

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 3

I'm with @Misha, it looks like a productid brachiopod to me.  I'm thinking something like Cancrinella with those coarse rugae and what looks like a bit of an ear exposed at the edge near the hingeline.  But I'm assuming it is Pennsylvanian and that could be wrong of course.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, TqB said:

One more for productid brachiopod. My first thought was something like Echinoconchus.

Echinaria and Echinoconchus may be at least partial synonyms.

See synonymy in:

Brew, D. C., & Beus, S. S. (1976). A Middle Pennsylvanian Fauna from the Naco Formation near Kohl Ranch, Central Arizona. Journal of Paleontology, 50(5), 888–906. http://www.jstor.org/stable/1303586

D2BC3DCB-B673-450E-9DF6-649FE237FDFF.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 3

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, definitely a productid, though I wouldn't like to guess which one without a location. 

Quite a few possible candidates.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png