Is this an imprint of a tree, fish, or??

Mikeydoeswork

Found this in a large creek bed in Dolly Sods WV in the mountains. 8-12 pound stone or so, made a good hiking companion lol. Anyway, looks like it could be an imprint of an extinct tree or a garfish or something but it doesn’t make sense to me that the lines are impressed and the diamond formations are raised, which would make me thing some type of tree or something. Thoughts?? 

49E6A99F-EC3A-46F0-B998-D11BA7BFA4E4.jpeg

2622F73D-7D66-4A54-81B1-B032B1F53332.jpeg

Dolly Sods definitely has wonderful Carboniferous fossils, but this one gives me pause. To my eye, it actually looks more like the impression of metal lath in concrete.

• I Agree 1

13 hours ago, Carl said:

Dolly Sods definitely has wonderful Carboniferous fossils, but this one gives me pause. To my eye, it actually looks more like the impression of metal lath in concrete.

Thank you for sharing some thoughts! There’s a lot of quartz crystals in it and also a few other small impressions, hard to make out but one looks like a small sea shell, I’ll post soon! 

• Enjoyed 1

1 minute ago, Mikeydoeswork said:

Thank you for sharing some thoughts! There’s a lot of quartz crystals in it and also a few other small impressions, hard to make out but one looks like a small sea shell, I’ll post soon! 

My opinion would be it’s WAY too dense to be a concrete, I’ve done a lot of construction… thing feels like an iron meteor lol. But signs of other fossils make it a dead giveaway but I’ll have to verify that part first