Spike Osteoderms - Glyptodont or Holmesina? - Peace River, Florida

Meganeura

A closeup of edge and tail osteoderms from Wikipedia

WikipediaGlyptodontTail.JPG.ad2ceb880e494e0570d2a8b7bc1eb693.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

@Shellseeker

Several of the replica photos of holmesina I've seen online make it seem like their tail osteoderms don't really project out in the same spikey way that glyptodont osteoderms do. So I'd be inclined to think Daniel's are glyptodont.

Do you know if that's a correct distinction or am I jumping to conclusions based on poor photo samples?

Also, thanks for continuing to post and share your knowledge with everyone here at a time when I'm sure you have a lot on your plate.  I wish you the best in your repairs.

• Thank You 1

1 minute ago, Brandy Cole said:

@Shellseeker

Several of the replica photos of holmesina I've seen online make it seem like their tail osteoderms don't really project out in the same spikey way that glyptodont osteoderms do. So I'd be inclined to think Daniel's are glyptodont.

Do you know if that's a correct distinction or am I jumping to conclusions based on poor photo samples?

Also, thanks for continuing to post and share your knowledge with everyone here at a time when I'm sure you have a lot on your plate.  I wish you the best in your repairs.

That’s my question ultimately - I can’t find any images for Holmesina with spiky osteoderms at all - only Glyptodont.

• I Agree 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

1 hour ago, Harry Pristis said:

Spikey . . .

armadillomarginal.jpg.fa3dd311473b0b996f0926d2682eae52.jpg

So easy to say mine are Glyptodont then, right? 

• I found this Informative 1

25 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

Tortoises have shallow roots on their spikes, while glyptodonts have deeper roots.

In a post a long time ago, I had the feeling that we were comparing Tortoise Osteoderms to Glyptodont tail or edge Osteoderms. I do not think that Holmesina osteoderms are similar. If they are, I have not yet found them.

Sometimes these are very close and not all that easy to differentiate.

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

4 hours ago, Brandy Cole said:

Appreciate it.  Fossil discussions are actually therapeutic.... It is noce to have power/internet back... I enjoy fossil hunting , and made it out yesterday... Found a Meg and a larger Hemi....

IMG_7690.thumb.JPG.6b32eb483711687c5cc7d6f5d390baed.JPGIMG_7691.thumb.JPG.c500dd0e55d9b194347e32c8fc4f32bc.JPG

Also, I can still re_hunt in my own carport and around the edges of my house...It is almost like finding them for the first time. Here are some from today..

IMG_7706.thumb.JPG.504015150be3ad4c91a66aac2f56c63c.JPG

Hmmmm.. somehow I can not load photos... curious

EDIT: Rebooted,  and added photos

• Enjoyed 2

7 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Appreciate it.  Fossil discussions are actually therapeutic.... It is noce to have power/internet back... I enjoy fossil hunting , and made it out yesterday... Found a Meg and a larger Hemi....

IMG_7690.thumb.JPG.6b32eb483711687c5cc7d6f5d390baed.JPGIMG_7691.thumb.JPG.c500dd0e55d9b194347e32c8fc4f32bc.JPG

Also, I can still re_hunt in my own carport and around the edges of my house...It is almost like finding them for the first time. Here are some from today..

IMG_7706.thumb.JPG.504015150be3ad4c91a66aac2f56c63c.JPG

Hmmmm.. somehow I can not load photos... curious

EDIT: Rebooted,  and added photos

Jack, you gotta do another “trip” report that’s for your new-old finds. I know some of us newbies (Mainly me) would love to see some of the stuff you’ve found years ago!

• I Agree 1

8 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Tortoises have shallow roots on their spikes, while glyptodonts have deeper roots.

Right - that’s why I knew the bigger 2 were armadillo/Glyptodont. The smaller one Is shaped the same and has the same… cross section as Glyptodont does:

C6422A0D-B02C-4B57-94CA-6CFA698BF187.thumb.jpeg.e29323a616b20a4cb3f13c37d423e6cb.jpeg

Or I would’ve also said it was tortoise.