Inoceramus valve resting on top of a Placenticeras ammonite

rawfossils

A cool piece frozen in time from the day they were buried together. Also a decent size Inoceramus shell for the area and always fun to find an ammonite. This piece is from Boulder, Colorado. 

PXL_20221120_163331552_MP.jpg

PXL_20221120_163348457_MP.jpg

PXL_20221120_163357874_MP.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

So far away but it looks a lot like stuff we find over here (except we don't have Placenticeras... other ammonites yes).

Yes, always nice to find an association piece... We have a topic for such fossils but I can never remember what it's called so I can't find it for you right now!

• Thank You 1

18 hours ago, rocket said:

:Smiling:, supernice

looks like Placenticeras was fossilized with his duvet, cool find!

Do you go to prepare the Placenticeras?

I don't have the tools to prepare any piece more than just hitting it with a hammer. I was lucky enough for the Inoceramid valve to pop right off and then I realized there was an ammonite under it 

• Enjoyed 1

3 hours ago, rawfossils said:

I don't have the tools to prepare any piece more than just hitting it with a hammer. I was lucky enough for the Inoceramid valve to pop right off and then I realized there was an ammonite under it 

A really nice lucky split, well done! Great display-piece as it is :default_clap2:

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

That is pretty neat! Ain't it nice when you get a special suprise fossil that you did not expect to be there at all? :) 

Thanks for sharing!

-Micah

• I Agree 1

On 11/21/2022 at 6:23 AM, Wrangellian said:

So far away but it looks a lot like stuff we find over here (except we don't have Placenticeras... other ammonites yes).

Yes, always nice to find an association piece... We have a topic for such fossils but I can never remember what it's called so I can't find it for you right now!

Yeah, I once found an Inoceramid valve like this in the Haslam formation that had a bunch of brachiopods stowed underneath... Makes me wonder if it represents a behavioural thing or if it's just a coincidence or some sort of preservation assisted by the shell.

Edited by Norki

On 11/24/2022 at 10:48 AM, Norki said:

Yeah, I once found an Inoceramid valve like this in the Haslam formation that had a bunch of brachiopods stowed underneath... Makes me wonder if it represents a behavioural thing or if it's just a coincidence or some sort of preservation assisted by the shell.

I guess brachs could be deposited death-assemblage style into an Ino 'basin' by currents, if they weren't obviously attached to the Ino shell, but who knows?