Cadzand dolphin tooth

Notidanodon

Hi guys I have got this dolphin tooth (miocene to pleistocene) from cadzand, it has a small almost cusp like thing on it thanks for your help ;) 

FF9B78A9-B595-433E-BB27-5A5662A4967E.jpeg

FC3D20E7-303A-494A-B0E7-D44E4C4A8048.jpeg

Try this thread,  and maybe the chart of the Holotype teeth for Delphinodon_dividum.  Considerable variations,  but approximately a similar size to yours

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/78228-unknown-mammal-tooth-fragment/

image.png.ca1712d4a13951947689f4aed1d3d6fd.png

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

20 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Try this thread,  and maybe the chart of the Holotype teeth for Delphinodon_dividum.  Considerable variations,  but approximately a similar size to yours

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/78228-unknown-mammal-tooth-fragment/

image.png.ca1712d4a13951947689f4aed1d3d6fd.png

Thanks ;) that’s a nice tooth you posted in that thread! It is a possibility but really I have no idea on cetacean teeth morphology, it may be time to call in the expert!

@Boesse

• I Agree 1

Not really identifiable past odontocete, I'm afraid. Odontocete teeth with little conical crowns just don't have enough morphology to them, whereas the cheek teeth of earlier dolphins are just complicated enough to ID.

• I found this Informative 1

On 11/23/2022 at 3:29 PM, Boesse said:

Not really identifiable past odontocete, I'm afraid. Odontocete teeth with little conical crowns just don't have enough morphology to them, whereas the cheek teeth of earlier dolphins are just complicated enough to ID.

Ahhh, thanks, i suspected that might be the case given how similiar they all look, i have a few more teeth from here, are there any features i should look out for that could make them idnetifiable?

1 hour ago, Notidanodon said:

Ahhh, thanks, i suspected that might be the case given how similiar they all look, i have a few more teeth from here, are there any features i should look out for that could make them idnetifiable?

Wow! I've been to Cadzand numerous times to look for fossils, but never found any dolphin teeth. Just sharks' teeth. And even those are rare these days. Much easier to find neolithic tools there now. But from what I've heard most collectors go out in the dark, these days, so that'd might explain why the site isn't really interesting any more for the less avid collector like me :P

• I found this Informative 2

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

I have a Dutch book on Cadzand fossils.  It looks like collectors were finding a variety of specimens of various Cenozoic ages.  It's interesting that fossils have become rare but artifacts are more commonly found.  Are they hunting with UV lights?

6 hours ago, siteseer said:

I have a Dutch book on Cadzand fossils.  It looks like collectors were finding a variety of specimens of various Cenozoic ages.  It's interesting that fossils have become rare but artifacts are more commonly found.  Are they hunting with UV lights?

I wouldn't say artefacts are commonly found. Rather that people know fossils can be found, but aren't really aware of the artefacts (flint tools, albeit very rolled) can be found there as well.

As to the night-time hunts, that's just something I've heard and don't have first-hand information about myself. So I wouldn't know whether they're using UV-lights, but I think that's what I heard...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

On 11/25/2022 at 4:14 AM, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

I wouldn't say artefacts are commonly found. Rather that people know fossils can be found, but aren't really aware of the artefacts (flint tools, albeit very rolled) can be found there as well.

As to the night-time hunts, that's just something I've heard and don't have first-hand information about myself. So I wouldn't know whether they're using UV-lights, but I think that's what I heard...

In my experience you can find some small whale teeth that are already very similar to modern dolphin teeth by the Late Oligocene even if no modern dolphin genera or even families go back that far.  It's a case of more than one group converging on a basic morphology perhaps even on a path to toothlessness seen in other whale groups.

• I found this Informative 1