Spinosaurus Vertebrae?

Luke001

Bought this fossil recently.  Was told it is a Spinosaurus Vertebrae from Oued Zem, Morocco. I'm questioning if it is really from a Spinosaurus since both ends appear to be concave, and I read somewhere that one end should be convex.  One end seems to be much more concave than the other, but still doesn't seem right to me.  I'm a novice collector, so I was hoping to get some expert opinions.  I hope these pictures I took are adequate for some type of identification.  Thanks in advance. 

PXL_20221120_215248080.jpg

PXL_20221120_215259978.jpg

PXL_20221120_215337956.jpg

PXL_20221120_215006483.jpg

PXL_20221120_214953690.jpg

PXL_20221120_215053295.jpg

PXL_20221120_215115512.jpg

PXL_20221120_214938186.jpg

PXL_20221120_215204218.jpg

Oued Zem is not from the Kem Kem Basin but the OuledAbdoun Basin and Maastrichtian in age so it cannot be Spinosaurid which is from an older deposit Cenomanian.   Are you sure about locality?

These processes appear to be added.

1668984587831.jpg

Oof.  Sorry to say, this does not look good.

The photos are clear and very helpful.
The centrum looks reasonably consistent with Spinosaurid. But as you say, both ends are concave. Only in caudals are the centra concave on both ends. The front should be convex in cervical and dorsal vertebrae. The centrum is in very rough shape. One end seems to have "repair" or other shenanigans going on. Either it's a dorsal centrum with a botched front. Or it could be an anterior caudal with just a rough repair.
But beyond the centrum there is no good news really. Of the four processes/zygapophyses, Two of them seem to be random pieces of bone glued on there.
Then there are two real zygapophyses. But they do not match the rest of the vertebra, or each other. One of them could be from a caudal or a cervical perhaps. And the other longer one seems to be from a dorsal or a caudal vert.

image.png.fe6f1bd3f2e26fc462a3419aec6af665.pngimage.png.d824ef302930c406524f38bd99050fcd.png

This looks like a random piece of bone as well. The lines of glue and random grit can be seen all around it too.
image.png.a3245dd56a5369ad8c25a0d62a9d01c8.png

The neural spine might be a neural spine or a random piece of bone. Either way, it doesn't fit with any of the other parts. Note the colour difference as well. It's much redder than any other part of the "vert". While there can definitely be colour variation in a single bone. It's definitely something to look out for. Notice how here we can see sort of "islands" of colour with bland grey-ish lines around them. Look for colour that either gradients into another colour or continues to another area. The glued areas are often homogeneous in colour but often do not match the rest of the specimen, like we see here.

On the whole, there are some real vert parts here. But none of the anatomy is correct. It's basically an art project. It seems to be made of at least 7 different parts that do not belong together and I can only see three that are definitely from some type of vertebra.

I would try to get a refund on this.
I'm sorry this is so damning. But it really is a terrible piece. Sadly these botch jobs are very common. Sometimes they are salvageable. But this is so bad, I don't think it's worth saving.

• Thank You 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

12 hours ago, Luke001 said:

That is disappointing.  Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.  I've learned a lot. 

Don't hesitate to post your interest here before you purchase so you can try to avoid future disappointments in the future