Is A Blast Cabinet Required For Outdoor Air Scribing?

Megalodoodle

I was wondering if a blast cabinet is required to air scribe fossils outdoors? (As long as one wears the proper PPE and safety equipment of course.) I’m trying to save some on my setup until I gather the rest of the cash needed to buy the blast cabinet and move my prepping indoors. And besides, the cold has never really bothered me anyways.

No, blast cabinets are to contain the mess that prepping creates as well as control the dust (both breathing hazards and mess to clean).  If you're outside, all you really need is the wind to not blow everything back into your face, and then a regular dust mask.  You could also set up a small fan to blow the dust away from you.

Lastly, I will give you the advice others gave me.  Build your own blast box.  I bought something because it fast and easy, and on a deep discount sale.  It worked OK, but I quickly outgrew it.  If you are going to be starting with prepping outside, then you dont have to worry about rushing anyway.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

I am all for build your own.  It can be done very cheaply.  As for a dust collector, that may be tougher;  I started with a series of give-away computer cooling fans and built them into a box with some air filters and it worked pretty good for bicarb, but could not handle the more dusty dolomite.  

I've done a ton of air abrasive work outside.  Mostly cause what I was working on was too big for my blast cabinet.  Also, bicarb will settle down very quickly where as dolo will literally hang in the air!!!   

RB

2 hours ago, jpc said:

I am all for build your own.  It can be done very cheaply.  As for a dust collector, that may be tougher;  I started with a series of give-away computer cooling fans and built them into a box with some air filters and it worked pretty good for bicarb, but could not handle the more dusty dolomite.  

I just re-read your post.  You are asking about air scribing, then mention a blast cabinet.  My initial answer (and I assume RJB's) was about air abrading,  No need for a blast cabinet for air scribing.  Dust mask and goggles should be enough.  Safety glasses are a must or you will soon end up at the optometrist to remove painful puny debris form your eyeball (and that is the case if you are having a good day).