Is this a Spinosaur Vertebra?

jikohr

Hi everyone!

I'm actually fairly certain this is Spinosaur based on the S. aegyptiacus holotype drawing which shows a vertebra with a bump of bone on the bottom and nothing on the sides of the centrums (I cropped that part for a reference) but Kem Kem stuff is weird so I figured it would be a good idea to get a second opinion. The bone measures 10.1 cm tall without the bump of matrix on top, 5.4 cm long, and the centrum widths are 5.15 and 6.15 cm.

Any insight is greatly appreciated as always! Also Happy Thanksgiving!

IMG_3651.JPG

IMG_3652.JPG

IMG_3653.JPG

IMG_3654.JPG

IMG_3655.JPG

IMG_3656.JPG

Spinosaurus_holotype - Copy.jpg

Edited by jikohr

Oh that's interesting. It seems to match very well with the drawing of the holotype caudal vertebra. But what's interesting, is that I have not seen any caudal vertebra with that ventral process from Kem Kem yet. All other spinosaur vertebrae from the Kem Kem lack this (that I've seen). So I wonder if this might be the first caudal. Or perhaps it's a different species than the other Kem Kem spinosaurs.

But I will say that I think it needs more cleaning to put a more confident ID on it.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

4 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Oh that's interesting. It seems to match very well with the drawing of the holotype caudal vertebra. But what's interesting, is that I have not seen any caudal vertebra with that ventral process from Kem Kem yet. All other spinosaur vertebrae from the Kem Kem lack this (that I've seen). So I wonder if this might be the first caudal. Or perhaps it's a different species than the other Kem Kem spinosaurs.

But I will say that I think it needs more cleaning to put a more confident ID on it.

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Here is the anterior caudal series of Spinosaurus.

Is that extension on the ventral side all bone?  

Screenshot_20221124_105212_Drive.jpg.e43267a4136725b4581578ee55bf2826.jpg

Just a thought based on that but since the ventral process was documented on the aegyptiacus holotype, could it be exclusive to that species?

Also it looks like the vertebra numbered 3 in Troodon's picture has it as well.

Hm, I guess that ventral process seems to be present on the "neotype" as well. Hadn't noticed that before.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

On 11/24/2022 at 4:25 PM, Troodon said:

Yes C3 is a candidate, just want to make sure it was bone not matrix

On 11/24/2022 at 6:27 PM, LordTrilobite said:

Hm, I guess that ventral process seems to be present on the "neotype" as well. Hadn't noticed that before.

I took a bunch more close ups. Do these help with the ID at all?

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

19.JPG

7 hours ago, Troodon said:

That extension is weird but very real and distinctive.  I would say CA3 of a Spinosaurid.  Nice unique item.

Thanks!

Finally one of these that isn't croc.