Shell fossils new Zealand

cheruby

Hi there all, I'm new to this. 

Please help... View the photos attached and any info would be amazing. 

Thanks kindly.

My name is che-ruby wood. 

16692914019922406685797211361986.jpg

1669291616635855960104416330620.jpg

16692917067063142009047163199692.jpg

Hi and welcome to TFF!

What would you like to know about your fossils? For an ID you would need to provide a scale and location.

Kind regards

Welcome to the Fossil Forum from South West Florida, USA, Che-ruby. Your post brings back good memories.  25 years ago, I spent a wonderful 6 weeks in your country, eating a dozen Bluff oysters every day on a pier in St Mary's Bay...  could not get enough of them and miss the wonderful flavors ever since.

Did not know much,  but did find this excellent paper on Scallops in NZ,

https://gsnz.org.nz/assets/Uploads/Shop/Products/MP148_Ballance_NZ_Geology.pdf

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Welcome to the forum!

Im also from  New Zealand, and I’ve looked a lot at the fossil scallops (pectenids) over the last couple of years. 

If you can take some clear pictures of the ribs - where they look to be crisp and intact with a scale (ruler).

The ribs (sculpture) is the key to ID. One of yours may be too worn to ID, but there are traces of the ribs left…,might both be the same species?

Probably Phialopecten or Chlamys. Maybe the species common in NZ rocks from Pliocene onwards. The ribs are quite fine in the younger species without the secondary “wavy” pattern or costae. 

Send through those photos and let’s see if we can narrow it down. Location would be helpful too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry all. Should've read the intro and to be frank. I jumped the gun, prematurely Ill equipped through my own negligence. Embarrassed. ANYHOO . .

Here are some photos I took and then my partner had a go too..

I'm not sure they are same species. I recognise the scallop shell as that but the other is a different. But I could be mistaken.. 

Hi,

3 minutes ago, cheruby said:

Here are some photos I took and then my partner had a go too.

Where ? In your first post or the last one? Because I don’t see anything new.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Sorry all. Should've read the intro and to be frank. I jumped the gun, prematurely Ill equipped through my own negligence. Embarrassed. ANYHOO . .

Here are some photos I took and then my partner had a go too..

I'm not sure they are same species. I recognise the scallop shell as that but the other is a different. But I could be mistaken.. 

20221203_231825.jpg

20221203_231819.jpg

On 11/25/2022 at 3:11 PM, Doctor Mud said:

Welcome to the forum!

Im also from  New Zealand, and I’ve looked a lot at the fossil scallops (pectenids) over the last couple of years. 

If you can take some clear pictures of the ribs - where they look to be crisp and intact with a scale (ruler).

The ribs (sculpture) is the key to ID. One of yours may be too worn to ID, but there are traces of the ribs left…,might both be the same species?

Probably Phialopecten or Chlamys. Maybe the species common in NZ rocks from Pliocene onwards. The ribs are quite fine in the younger species without the secondary “wavy” pattern or costae. 

Send through those photos and let’s see if we can narrow it down. Location would be helpful too. 

Hiya - finally managed to get the photos uploaded YAY !  Where I live is right on the Waikato river near the bridge to tuakau and its reception is as good as a rock in my shoe sometimes, nevertheless LOVE my home. Blessed. And I'm unsure of the find location on either of these I was given them by my brother's mother (Beverly hillbilly like i know) and I will reach out and see if she remembers exactly where, she moves around ALOT.  I'm picking it'll be in the taranaki/Wanganui area, at present they live on the west coast of Mount Egmont. Amazing piece of earth beneath our feet. 

On 12/4/2022 at 9:10 PM, Coco said:

Hi,

Where ? In your first post or the last one? Because I don’t see anything new.

Coco

Are those pictures visible to you all ????

Hi,

I see pictures in 3 different posts, I think now it works.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

5 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

I see pictures in 3 different posts, I think now it works.

Coco

There are 2 seperate shells 

I can't help the ID but I will agree with shellseeker above.  I spent 4 months in Enzed in 1988.  Great place.  I even managed to collect a few fossils.