Unknown fossil from Hoover Dam

Cara

Help! I am an art student who knows nothing about paleontology but I love it and am really curious about this fossil I found a few years ago.

It was found at Hoover Dam.

An aspiring paleontology student told me that it resembled the interambulacral plates of a sea urchin. 

Can anyone help identify it? Thanks! :)

696A9CF6-2BD1-4D41-914A-DA64CFF1F9F1.jpeg

26AF59BF-BB24-4D2B-A265-E0CE69C0C86C.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum. Yes it looks like part of an urchin. Never seen that type or fossil from that area in Arizona. Marine fossils in the area are older: Paleozoic. Probably brought there by a human. Very slight chance that it came from more recent marine rocks somewhere in the Colorado River drainage far away that made it through the Grand Canyon.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

9 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Very slight chance that it came from more recent marine rocks somewhere in the Colorado River drainage far away that made it through the Grand Canyon.

Looks like an excellent shape to produce lift in a moving fluid. That would certainly help. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Cara said:

Help! I am an art student who knows nothing about paleontology but I love it and am really curious about this fossil I found a few years ago.

It was found at Hoover Dam.

An aspiring paleontology student told me that it resembled the interambulacral plates of a sea urchin. 

Can anyone help identify it? Thanks! :)

696A9CF6-2BD1-4D41-914A-DA64CFF1F9F1.jpeg

26AF59BF-BB24-4D2B-A265-E0CE69C0C86C.jpeg

"Sand dollar"

sand-dollar.jpeg

• I Agree 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana