What are these / found in west Tennessee

JCFarms

These seem to be a species of "Devil's Toenail, the oyster Gryphaea or one of its relatives. 

Exogyra ponderosa, perhaps ? 

I'm not sure which genera and species occur in Tennessee. 

Jurassic to Late Cretaceous, I think.   

Edited by Tidgy's Dad
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Would need a better photo of the big oysters to tell what species of Exogyra they are. I can tell you though that they are Upper Cretaceous in age as Tennessee does not have any other age deposits with Exos in them.

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

A length standard (inches or centimeters) would help, but these look almost exactly like the Cretaceous-age Exogyra that I've found in New Jersey.  

They look stream worn so it might be tough to come up with an ID. I think I can see a little of the pattern on the bottom one that matches Exogyra costata

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

Looks like you've got both valves from Exogyra costata. There are two that look like Pycnodonte shells as well. Most of the time you're gonna find heavily worn pieces from river action.