Archaeopteryx skeleton revisited

thorst

Hi,

after almost 2 years I have reworked my Archaeopteryx skeleton model also shown on this board:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/110891-archaeopteryx-skeleton-model/

On the first version, I wasn't happy with the stability and the external metal support. Also, the dynamic pose made it large and difficult to find space for. So I decided to give the new version a more relaxed, upright posture and to run an iron rod through the spine instead of below it. I also reworked some details and found that the skull was scaled a bit too large compared to most specimens. Thanks to Scott Hartman the rib orientation was modified a bit, too.

Here are a few pictures:

Archaeopteryx_v2_03.thumb.JPG.c6503e640f9be105dde8b671de9c8406.JPG

Archaeopteryx_v2_04.thumb.JPG.5fe0a3d0cb94be9dae31120db0451d40.JPG

Archaeopteryx_v2_02.thumb.JPG.2ffac55be1fc357aedbeb2d104ded62c.JPG

Archaeopteryx_v2_08.thumb.JPG.475e371b58626dd217f9daa11d890593.JPG

The new version of the skeleton is much easier to print and to assemble. The files are now available for personal use at

https://cults3d.com/de/modell-3d/verschiedene/full-size-archaeopteryx-skeleton

though I recommend this only for printing on resin printers with a resolution of at least 50µm for the fine details.

Best regards,

Thorsten

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 8

Thanks!

They print without a problem. The files in the download have the parts oriented just as I printed them (except for a rotation around the z-axis to counteract the aliasing, but this should be irrelevant for that issue. Also the tail tip was re-oriented to help the chevrons print more cleanly, but that was all changes).

I did use some painter's tape to keep the ribs' shape, right after washing the parts until final hardening with the uv-light, which I did only after the parts were mounted in the final position.

Between the old version and the new one I also switched from the standard resin to the ABS-like resin, which is a bit more flexible and forgiving to bending, and not as brittle.

Edited by thorst

Very cool as I already told you!

If you find the time,can you post some fotos, additional to what I assume are renders?

I should not want one, being still busy reassembling/repairing my own models after the relocation, but...

Cheers,

J

• Thank You 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Hi Jan,

Thanks a lot!

The pictures are in fact photos! I spent a huge time with the lighting this time!

Good luck with your reassembly work!

Cheers, Thorsten

Wow,

I would not have guessed it, with the abstract background, perfect lighting and smooth print...

I see why resin printers may be worth the effort.

LG

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley