New Jersey Merchantville project

frankh8147

Hello everyone!

I wanted to share the project that I'm most proud of this year.

Over the last year, we've been poking around, trying to find formation in a Merchantville stream in Central New Jersey. We had to dig (a lot)  for this but found a few diggable areas. This is a sensitive spot as it's the only place in the world you can find Menabites walnutensis (besides a few isolated examples from Texas), and it's the only place in the USA you can find Baculites vaalsensis. There are a lot of other goodies too so I'll show my entire collection from this area. 

My favorite Menabites walnutensis...

20221113_132644.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 9

Awesome collection Frank! That Glyptoxoceras came out beautifully 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

Great finds Frank! In addition to some wonderful cephalopods I also see a really cool echinoid. Congratulations and thanks for sharing. Love to see them in person.

• I Agree 1

19 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Nice finds. Do you have an ID for the echinoid?

Cardiaster marylandicus... here is a close up.

20221128_184150.jpg

• Enjoyed 9

20 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Great finds Frank! In addition to some wonderful cephalopods I also see a really cool echinoid. Congratulations and thanks for sharing. Love to see them in person.

Sure! I owe you a Vincentown trip...I wouldnt be opposed to doing that sometime soon!

• I Agree 1

12 minutes ago, frankh8147 said:

Cardiaster marylandicus... here is a close up.

20221128_184150.jpg

That is not a Cardiaster. This is a Cardiaster from the Merchantville. Yours is more likely a partially crushed Hemiaster welleri.

288ED167-D849-4EB7-916A-3523B64461B2.thumb.jpeg.fd2aa035c5fbd45d4499c18c292faae3.jpeg
DD962CEB-0D6B-4880-A685-5E62EA67A218.thumb.jpeg.2735fc175bc6f2546bfe72fcedb06843.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 2

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

On 11/29/2022 at 11:25 AM, historianmichael said:

That is not a Cardiaster. This is a Cardiaster from the Merchantville. Yours is more likely a partially crushed Hemiaster welleri.

288ED167-D849-4EB7-916A-3523B64461B2.thumb.jpeg.fd2aa035c5fbd45d4499c18c292faae3.jpeg DD962CEB-0D6B-4880-A685-5E62EA67A218.thumb.jpeg.2735fc175bc6f2546bfe72fcedb06843.jpeg

Ralph says it's just crushed. We can certainly run that by him though..

• Enjoyed 2

@frankh8147

It is the depth of all the ambulacra on your specimen (even though crushed) that exceeds the characteristics of a Cardiaster.  The ambs are well within range for a Hemiaster.

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

22 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

@frankh8147

It is the depth of all the ambulacra on your specimen (even though crushed) that exceeds the characteristics of a Cardiaster.  The ambs are well within range for a Hemiaster.

Worthy of comparison with Diplodetus as well.

• I found this Informative 4

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

23 hours ago, JohnJ said:

@frankh8147

23 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Worthy of comparison with Diplodetus as well.

Thank you both for the responses. I'll attempt to get a better ID for this guy.

• Enjoyed 2

Cool stuff! Very different than the Navesink/Wenona stuff I collected many moons ago.  But the various ammonites remind me of the time I was fortunate to visit with Ralph Johnson and the MAPS collection.

• Enjoyed 1

14 minutes ago, erose said:

Cool stuff! Very different than the Navesink/Wenona stuff I collected many moons ago.  But the various ammonites remind me of the time I was fortunate to visit with Ralph Johnson and the MAPS collection.

Yep, this was from one of his old spots. Ralph (who is now in his mid 70's) was not only present for every dig there but actually still helped out a lot with the work involved!

• I found this Informative 1

Congratulations Frank! That is a very drool worthy collection of goods!:drool:

• Thank You 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.