Bite mark??

CWS

Picked this up in Dorset, I've only cleaned in fresh water and that hole appeared in the keel of the Nautilus. Its very well defined, what do you think, possible tooth damage? Appreciate your thoughts.

IMG_20221129_131749_997.jpg

20221129_125302.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Sure, it looks like it went diagonally as it's broken the shell above. Hard to say how deep it is as was full of sediment but it's about 15mm with what I cleaned out, if that helps.

20221129_173255.jpg

20221129_173246.jpg

Hey anything is possible but the ones Ive seen bitten have round holes not rectangular.   Just seems like natural erosion and no regrowth around the perimeter of depression.  Let see what others say, predation is not an easy call.

• I found this Informative 2

Holes like this can often be the result of a fully 'decayed' marcasite (or some other iron based mineral) nodule.  The dark brown remnants look like they are visible in the large hole and as small inclusions in other spots.

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

17 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Holes like this can often be the result of a fully 'decayed' marcasite (or some other iron based mineral) nodule.  The dark brown remnants look like they are visible in the large hole and as small inclusions in other spots.

There was some of the dark brown material in the hole, very soft, removed with a tooth brush. So that would explain it then?

2 hours ago, CWS said:

There was some of the dark brown material in the hole, very soft, removed with a tooth brush. So that would explain it then?

Sounds like classic iron based mineral decay.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Sounds like classic iron based mineral decay.

Thank you. How would have happened, some sort of imperfection in the shell?

12 minutes ago, CWS said:

Thank you. How would have happened, some sort of imperfection in the shell?

The right combination of elements within the matrix filled chamber were the genesis for the iron based crystal growth.  Over the millennia, the ground chemistry dissolves the shell and increases the chemical reactions with the nodule in the internal matrix.  

• I found this Informative 2