Jump to content

Tucson Gem, Mineral & Fossil Show 2023 PHOTOS


Recommended Posts

pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon
2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Posting and having very early morning coffee :) before I head out today

 

One of my favorite fossils so far is this Ichthyosaur in a position, color you don't often see and the detail, wow great preservation.  Check out those paddles.   From the UK

 

P1260082.thumb.jpg.bfe2f13f06009dbc8c4590ba0cb6ddd3.jpgP1260083.thumb.jpg.0e8e6a442dca667ef3f388d2fea35bc7.jpg

 

That ichthyosaur is spectacular! Would've preferred one showing the top of the skull, but could very well see this as being a good replacement for my then-time dream piece! :drool:

Link to post
Share on other sites
pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon
2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Correct ID and is this a juvie?  over the years have not seen any of these pop up at shows.   

 

P1260094.thumb.jpg.3ff9e098e56c02f603dca4a9e9f21d35.jpg

 

I am actually quite surprised to see this openly sold at a show like this as well. As far as I know, fossil exports are prohibited from Peru, no?

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

 

I am actually quite surprised to see this openly sold at a show like this as well. As far as I know, fossil exports are prohibited from Peru, no?

 Your assuming its a recent find.  Peruvian material was legally available for years so lots of material has been around and sold at these shows.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
DarasFossils
4 hours ago, Troodon said:

 

At this show you talk venues not booths.  All these photos, with some exceptions are from the rooms at the Days Inn.  So check out all the sellers at:

Fossil and Mineral Alley at the Days Inn

 

So far best Fossil venues

MARKETPLACE

RMGM

Fossil Co-op

 

 

The other key fossil venues are shown at the beginning of this topic all open today.  Mineral are scattered throughout all the venues shown.

Enjoy the show

 

 

Thank you, I am new to this whole thing. Definitely planning to visit the Marketplace and Days Inn, but will probably head over to Co-Op. If it weren't for your thread, I'd be at 22nd street because that looked to be the biggest from the brochures. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DarasFossils said:

d be at 22nd street because that looked to be the biggest from the brochures. 

Yea the 22nd st show was great when it first opened.  It's gotten longer every year at the expense of parking (oh parking is now $10) and most fossils dealers have moved elsewhere.   You can find almost anything there but high quality fossils.  Only a couple of quality dealers are left.

  • Learned something new 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
bcfossilcollector

Incredible! Thanks Troodon!

  • Thank You 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Francesco1994

I hope you will also bring photos of Kem Kem's artistic masterpieces again this year. I saw all of your Tucson topics, every time you posted a photo from the Moroccan tents I was moved

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great pics like always, thanks! You make possible for us to enjoy it

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
HamptonsDoc
22 hours ago, DarasFossils said:

Beautiful finds from the show. My Dad and I just landed in Tuscon tonight and are going to attend tomorrow. Any recommendations on booths? I've got a small wishlist, but most likely will just get 1-3 things.

Wishlist:

Dragonfly

Horseshoe Crab

Eurypterid

Keichousaurus

Watermelon Tourmaline Crystal

Ankylosaurus

Pleistocene Mammal

Tully Monster

 

I love the Mazon Creek stuff you posted and I'd definitely shell out for a Tully if there's one there, but a millipede or jawless fish would be cool too.

As Troodon already mentioned, the best Fossil venues are:

 

Days Inn: if you can only hit one venue this is the one. Take your time and ask a lot of questions. 

The Market Place (on Oracle): a lot of the big dealers previously at 22nd street moved here. 

The Co-op (on Oracle): the nicest display and place to take pictures. Set up like a museum. 

RMGM Show (on Oracle): the best high end Moroccan dealer is here, worth a trip just to see him. 

 

22nd Street show had almost all the fossil dealers pull out. There are 3 dealers left there that I noticed (the place is uncomfortably big and a pain in the neck to visit). One good dealer of ice age material, one dealer with a good mix of dino and sea creatures, and one Chinese dealer selling all Chinese fish fossils (including about half dozen Keicheosaurs I noticed, of varying quality). 
 

I did not notice any Tully Monsters anywhere at this show. I was actually keeping an eye out for a good one for myself. 
 

Have fun!

  • Enjoyed 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
DarasFossils
2 minutes ago, HamptonsDoc said:

As Troodon already mentioned, the best Fossil venues are:

 

Days Inn: if you can only hit one venue this is the one. Take your time and ask a lot of questions. 

The Market Place (on Oracle): a lot of the big dealers previously at 22nd street moved here. 

The Co-op (on Oracle): the nicest display and place to take pictures. Set up like a museum. 

RMGM Show (on Oracle): the best high end Moroccan dealer is here, worth a trip just to see him. 

 

22nd Street show had almost all the fossil dealers pull out. There are 3 dealers left there that I noticed (the place is uncomfortably big and a pain in the neck to visit). One good dealer of ice age material, one dealer with a good mix of dino and sea creatures, and one Chinese dealer selling all Chinese fish fossils (including about half dozen Keicheosaurs I noticed, of varying quality). 
 

I did not notice any Tully Monsters anywhere at this show. I was actually keeping an eye out for a good one for myself. 
 

Have fun!

Thank you! I visited the Days Inn and Market Place, Days Inn was my favorite. I got a decent Keichosaur for a good deal (other one I saw was 3x the price), not really willing to walk along the entire 22nd street just for 3 dealers, looks like a pain from the road. Might go to the Co-OP tomorrow, but likely going back to the Days Inn to picked up a few things I saw today (Really beautiful Russian and Golden trilobites.) I didn't see any Mazon Creek yet, but lots of other stuff I had wanted to see at least! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...