Help with ID of bones? please

I.C. Fossils

Hi, I’m new to the forum and I live in Florida. I’m trying to get things sorted out to send the university my list of finds and I have a few head scratchers. These were found on the East coast between Fort Pierce and Jensen Beach. I have read that most fossils in this area are there because of beach refurbishment with material from inland sources. Thanks to this site I have been able to identify most of everything that is in identifiable condition. These three make me wonder and I would greatly appreciate it if someone would have a look. I can try to get better photos if you need and the scale is cm (roughly:)

4080B135-49E6-4C8F-8DC5-E7157DE03A97.jpeg

14862D50-9ABB-445C-ADEE-74965DAB7EA3.jpeg

5F3A7AA2-4E14-4300-A487-9183F28A7DE0.jpeg

900D4886-7827-4E81-99FA-7A0BE12DAB1D.jpeg

513EC28C-D0B2-41E4-8DA4-3A0591EBD702.jpeg

Welcome to TFF, it is a great place to share your finds and possibly get them identified.

I have been hunting Florida for 15 years,  and I'll try to share a secret that took me years to learn.

At least 80-90% of all fossil bones found in Florida are not identifiable by anyone ,  even the experts. Do not pick them up, do not keep them, leave them for other fossil hunters. 

Of your 3 bones,  the one on the right is probably a chunk of rib,  Note that I said probably because no one can be sure. It has no distinguishing characteristics, which would allow you (or anyone else ) to determine which of the numerous Florida fossil mammals might have had this specific rib...

Similar with the bone on the left,  it might be turtle shell,  or scapula or any of the numerous bones or fossils that that have been broken into small pieces and eroded over decades..

The middle one does seems to have some odd characteristics and might be worth your efforts to try to identify...

Distinguishing characteristics.....there is one .  that straight lines coming from left to right. .. Tells an expert that this is the tip of the lower jaw of a Baleen whale..

BaleenWhaleJaw.jpg.ede0435081e8a0236d8ce8ed0fe1e080.jpg

Joining a local fossil club is also a good thing... They will have experienced the types of bones that can be identified.  Good luck hunting .

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thank you for your reply. I like your Baleen jaw! I appreciate the tips too. It definitely is a better feeling to have things in the collection that are attributable to something. Thanks again for the response and have a good day

• Enjoyed 1