Fossil help :)

Mare_22

Hi, this is my first post on this forum! (and sorry for bad english, btw) :) 

I just registered yesterday, and I would really appreciate if someone could ID this stone (?) I found.

It is found in Croatia, on the Adriatic sea, on the island of Brač.

I noticed it while I was walking down the stony path, in the inland of the island.

I don't know anything about fossils, but it looks interesting and I am curious.

Thank you!

:b_hi:

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

6.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

27 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Great pictures for your first post. I am sure someone will be of assistance soon!

Thank you, I followed the instructions! :)

• Enjoyed 1

29 minutes ago, Bringing Fossils to Life said:

To me this looks like an external mold of a crinoid stem, or a cephalopod.

Thank you, I googled it and it looks that way :)

Welcome to the Forum. :)

This looks like it might be the internal chambers of some sort of nautiloid cephalopod.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 5

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

If you look from the end, it has the shape of a septum, but since I've had so many cephalopods turn out to be crinoids, I couldn't tell for sure. Here's a nice diagram of an orthoconic cephalopod, though the soft tissue restoration is inaccurate (see this thread for more discussion) and the body chamber is too long. I found the diagram online.

Orthocerida - Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia

On the smaller end, what seems to be longitudinal striae are present, which may be helpful later in further identification.

Edited by Bringing Fossils to Life
  • Thank You 1

According to the geological map of Brac, the stratigraphy is Cretaceous or younger, so there would be no orthoconic nautiloids to be found there, since they died out long before. I'm tending to think that this is a piece of an ammonite phragmocone.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Then where are the wavy sutures? Have they been obscured by remineralization, or worn away? I don't see where the younger whorls would have been enveloped.  

Hey, greetings and welcome! I'm also a new member and I'm writing to you from the Adriatic coast in Croatia. As Ludwigia already correctly said, it will help you to look at the geological map of Croatia somewhere on the Internet, because our coast is mostly from the Cretaceous period, or younger.. The location of your find will so eliminate a lot of things... I don't (yet :rolleyes:) know to much, so I won't dare to go into identification, I was just glad to see a stone from Croatia. All the best !

• Enjoyed 4

5 hours ago, Bringing Fossils to Life said:

Then where are the wavy sutures? Have they been obscured by remineralization, or worn away? I don't see where the younger whorls would have been enveloped.  

If you study it closely you can see that the sutures are covered by sediment. If that could be removed, then perhaps you might see some of the younger whorls, but they may also be completely chopped off already.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 hours ago, todor.dbk said:

Hey, greetings and welcome! I'm also a new member and I'm writing to you from the Adriatic coast in Croatia. As Ludwigia already correctly said, it will help you to look at the geological map of Croatia somewhere on the Internet, because our coast is mostly from the Cretaceous period, or younger.. The location of your find will so eliminate a lot of things... I don't (yet :rolleyes:) know to much, so I won't dare to go into identification, I was just glad to see a stone from Croatia. All the best !

Hi from St! Thank you, I spent half day looking at geological maps, and half day looking at another photo of some strange rock I came across while walking the dog :BigSmile: I might post it tomorrow, it looks like trace fossil (maybe).

Mare

2 hours ago, todor.dbk said:

• Enjoyed 1