Horn Coral?

Abz5191

Hey everyone!! 

I sent pictures of my fossil, that I found on a Devon beach a few years back, to a museum in the UK to see if they could help me identify what it was! I personally thought it looked like a claw! And my sister thought a mussel! 

Turns out it was neither! I have attached the lovley little reply I received from the gentleman at the museum so you all can read too!

It’s a Horn Coral! Which is a solitary coral, that became extinct many MANY years ago! Pre-Jurassic Period!

I'm posting here in the hopes that anyone else might have any more information to add about this? I’m quite excited, and I’m ready to put it in a little frame somewhere so it can stay safe.

Any and all input is appreciated! 

Thank you guys! 

Abby C

1CB54596-3266-487F-B386-D8DF96FB74A5.jpeg

D7314494-44CD-44C8-9F8F-C9A972195D82.jpeg

853582E4-E0E7-42EC-8D8C-41071952FC97.jpeg

2C67F9C4-1CDD-4D2E-859C-610986F5DDFC.jpeg

920FE31A-81B0-4BB6-A6F3-7F6E35A17604.jpeg

FBB64F4C-0B24-4975-A24F-02E244DB72D8.png

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

Seconding that it's definitely a horn coral, and based on geologic maps of Devon almost certainly Devonian in age (not that the name didn't already give it away). Just one minor correction - some species of horn coral can definitely be colonial (and are quite beautiful when they are), so they weren't exclusively solitary creatures.

2 minutes ago, Hapchazzard said:

some species of horn coral can definitely be colonial (and are quite beautiful when they are), so they weren't exclusively solitary creatures.

The distinction gets a little technical, but I'm pretty sure this is thought to be correct.

30 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

The distinction gets a little technical, but I'm pretty sure this is thought to be correct.

Ah, I was not aware! I looked it up and it does indeed seem to be the case, interesting. Thank you for correcting my erroneous correction. 

I would suggest a likely Carboniferous age for this specimen.

The ice age brought a lot of Carboniferous errratics down from what is now Somerset and North Devon. 

The marine Devonian rocks were further south and usually don't contain much in the way of horn corals of this size. 

I have a lot of Devonian solitary rugose horn corals from the USA and Morocco, but I think just the one from the UK Devonian, but tons from the UK Lower Carboniferous.

821115571_DevonianHorn2.thumb.jpg.bde41c4b2d33586c515c674d31a7e46c.jpg

1118728_DevonianHorn.thumb.jpg.75e3cd614ff03be28b98dd98e3188ab2.jpg

Hello, Abby, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. 

I lived in Bristol for many years and enjoyed my time there very much. 

You can find lots of solitary and colonial Lower Carboniferous corals in the rocks and cliffs along the road through the Avon Gorge. No climbing required.   

Edited by Tidgy's Dad
  • I found this Informative 4
  • I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Rock units are named for the first sight that they were formally described. Where the fossils are found often doesn't fit the name.

I'm afraid there's not enough visible to ID it beyond solitary rugose coral AKA "horn coral".

It would need at least a good view of the top if it shows the transverse section but it looks as if it's covered by the matrix. So it would need grinding or cutting to show this.

("Horn coral" is an informal term but usually refers to just the solitary ones which match the name, and can apply to scleractinians too.)

I notice that the museum's reply refers to Dorset? That would make it probably Carboniferous but derived from the imported boulders that are often used as rock armour on that part of the coast, rather than from glacial deposits which I don't think extend that far south. There wasn't any Carboniferous material on the Dorset beaches until quite recently!

If it is from Devon, it could be Carboniferous or Devonian, depending on which area, in particular north (most likely Carboniferous) or south (most likely Devonian). 

Edited by TqB
  • I found this Informative 4

Tarquin

8 hours ago, Abz5191 said:

Wow, that’s incredible! 

Thank you guys! 

So, get out there and find some more! 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!