Cretaceous vertebrate fossils in sandstone

Rogelio Reyna

Hi everyone, I'm Roger.

I need some advices to proceed with the preparation of vertebrate material from Cretaceous marine sandstones of the Parras Basin in northeastern Mexico. I have some isolated mosasaurid centra with adhered matrix (mainly sandstone, as well shale) and some tiny shark teeth embedded in sandstone. I seek to use chemical methods. I have heard of the use of dimethyl sulfoxide but have never actually used it, if anyone has experience with this reagent I would love to hear your feedback. I am not opposed to working with mechanical methods, but I do not have the necessary tools, in Mexico that market is somewhat limited and expensive, because it must be imported. 

Any comments are welcome, thanks in advance!

I'd not heard about using DMSO as a means of chemically prepping fossils from sandstone but it does seem to be a thing.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/250070644_An_easy_way_to_remove_fossils_from_sandstones_DMSO_disaggregation

I remember when it used to be used as a novelty solvent in chemistry class. Some DMSO was mixed with something like peppermint oil and a drop placed on the skin would very quickly be sensed on the tongue (it allowed chemicals to be pulled into the bloodstream very efficiently). I thought I heard that was stopped due to DMSO being found to be carcinogenic but I see no evidence of that online:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyl_sulfoxide

Still, I'd be using this in a well ventilated area and would use gloves and other skin protection.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 1

Thanks for you reply Ken!

Your comments are very valuable and the link to the article was very kind. I hope that someone who has used DMSO in preparation can guide us more on the subject. The warning indications for skin contact makes me doubt if it's a good idea to use it or look for another alternative, although I'm not quite sure where to start. I'm still open to any ideas.

You would certainly not want to mix DMSO with some concentrated capsaicin from chili peppers and then spill any of that on you. It would be a fire you'd not be able to quench.

:blink:  :Horrified:  :drool::default_faint:

There have been a few posts here on the forum but it is not a method extensively discussed. I've heard some matrix might be softened by soaking in a liquid laundry water softener such as the Calgon brand:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgon_(water_softener)

Cheers.

-Ken

DMSO does not work on all sandstones. I have used it a few times.  The few examples of sandstone I tried it on did not work.  It is theoretically non-toxic as it is used to give drugs to animals that do not want to swallow big pills.  And it stinks very much of garlic.  

Huh, I've never run into DMSO being used for chemical preparation (the more you know). BUT it is commonly used in equine medicine. I've used it several times before placing a compression bandage. It acts as a vasodilator, so it dilates the nearby vessels and increases bloodflow to the local area which can assist in healing. It also has some antibacterial properties as well. Pretty useful stuff in medicine, but apparently in fossil prep to!

13 hours ago, Allosaurus said:

Huh, I've never run into DMSO being used for chemical preparation (the more you know). BUT it is commonly used in equine medicine. I've used it several times before placing a compression bandage. It acts as a vasodilator, so it dilates the nearby vessels and increases bloodflow to the local area which can assist in healing. It also has some antibacterial properties as well. Pretty useful stuff in medicine, but apparently in fossil prep to!

Indeed, I bought my small supply form the local feed store where they also sell livestock meds and such.