Air Compressor Questions

svcgoat

I have some unprepped fossils I got online and I have the paleobond starter kit but don't have a compressor or scribe. Are those tools necessary? Can I just use the compressed air cans? If I need a compressor does it have to be a high quality one?

Air compressors for fossil prep require multiple gallons of air. An 8-10 gallon compressor will run every 5-10 minutes, if used constantly. No, canned compressed air is only good for cleaning dust off of fossils.  You would require at least an 8-10 gallon compressor unless you want it running constantly, which shortens the life expectancy.

It really kind of depends on what you are trying to prepare.

You can make due, in some instances,  with an electric engraver, like the Dremel 290-1 with specialized tips purchased separately, to do some fossil prep.

s-engravertip.jpg

This setup cost me around $40.00 US dollars, with shipping and taxes. The Dremel  290 engraver can be found at big box hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot) for around 25 bucks, and the special tips on the auction site for 12 bucks for 2.

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The tools you need for prepping depends entirely on what you are trying to prep, and the nature of the matrix is in.  You dont have to have an air scribe for any prep, in the "old days" all they ever had was manual hand tools.  Air scribes certainly can make it easier to remove matrix, and can also make it easier to ruin a fossil is your arent't careful.  If you do get an air scribe, you MUST have a compressor.  No, compressed air cans cant be used.  If you do get a scribe you must have a compressor capable of putting out more than the needed CFM at more than the needed pressure.  You also need a compressor with a decent sized air tank and pay attention to the duty cycle.

If you don't follow those things, you may not have enough air to power the tool and/or the compressor will be running non-stop and will burn out.

Your compressor doesnt need to be "high quality", some top brands get very $$$$ very fast.  I use a Harbor Freight compressor.

• I found this Informative 3

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Valuable advice above.

Perhaps you could show us the fossils in question and we could suggest what tools would be right for the task at hand. 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• 4 weeks later...

If you have a compressor, you can then get a sand blaster that you can use baking soda blast media with and I found that it works pretty well. I would highly recommend buying one. The one I have was inexpensive.

11 hours ago, svcgoat said:

@Fossildude19 here is what I've prepped so far without a scribe having the most trouble getting some of the mud off

76 kB · 7 downloads

The image needs to be uploaded in .JPG format.

I can't see it, unfortunately, as the software doesn't support .HEIC files.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Weird that it didn't upload properly manager to get more dirt off and glue together with my small Dremel engraver 

PXL_20221229_012609168.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, svcgoat said:

Weird that it didn't upload properly manager to get more dirt off and glue together with my small Dremel engraver 

Looking good.  Do you have a pic before you started prep?

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

6 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

Looking good.  Do you have a pic before you started prep?

@hadrosauridae Here is the picture form the original listing it arrived in three pieces 

s-l1600 (9).jpg

• Enjoyed 3

8 hours ago, svcgoat said:

@hadrosauridae Here is the picture form the original listing it arrived in three pieces 

s-l1600 (9).jpg

The before and after look brilliant! Well done. 

A pin vise to remove the dust and thin layer of dirt should do the trick and allow you to get into the smaller areas to clean it up nicely. I'm envious of fossils with the softer dirt/mud. My fossils are all as hard as rock :heartylaugh::DOH: 

Tiffany

Uncovering the late Permian one fossil at a time 

On 12/28/2022 at 10:17 PM, SomethingIsFishy said:

If you have a compressor, you can then get a sand blaster that you can use baking soda blast media with and I found that it works pretty well. I would highly recommend buying one. The one I have was inexpensive.

What did you get for that price?

• 3 months later...

So I am about to get a hadrosaur maxilla to prep and I will need an air compressor. The sediment is soft limestone I am on a bit of a budget but what compressor + stylus can you recommend? What other information can I provide you about the specimen to guide this decision?

1 hour ago, svcgoat said:

So I am about to get a hadrosaur maxilla to prep and I will need an air compressor. The sediment is soft limestone I am on a bit of a budget but what compressor + stylus can you recommend? What other information can I provide you about the specimen to guide this decision?

As always, I recommend a compressor that produces at least 4cfm at 90psi or higher with a reserve tank of no less than 20 gallon.  Unless you can find and afford a 4cfm compressor capable of continuous duty cycle.  Then you need to get a moisture separator/regulator/silica dryer unit.  If you are just using tools and no plans for media blasting, then you can get away wthout the silica dryer. 

• I found this Informative 1