Monster ichthyosaur vert

DanJeavs

Began prep on something quite special today. Though I’ll be uploading pictures once completed. 
I have always said, you always find your best stuff heading back to the car. That certainly can be said for this day. 
I’d not had much lucky all day, these days I’m looking more for stuff to add to the collection, rather than collecting for the sake of it. Couple of nice ammonites but that’s it. I then walked past a spot I had already walked past that morning, when I noticed what looked like a GIANT vert, laying amongst the shale from a recent cliff fall. Yup. It was. Safe to say my breathing was all over the place. I haven’t measured yet, but as a guess. Id say it’s around 25cm. This most likely makes it temnodontosaurus. The real beasts of the sea.

2D4FC4AB-3DB0-47E2-8DE9-DE87A3CC6622.thumb.jpeg.d5356e2ae908bd5ba4ce43ee407a90e1.jpeg34140AA3-8422-4C2A-A039-F3017C4AD056.thumb.jpeg.583f3919675caefbe972a2d00def3018.jpeg6B27C9D8-A3F0-40C1-BA3E-DAD17C3A05B5.thumb.jpeg.607fe528e1013c6de803516c95cdcc60.jpeg

If that isn’t the face of happy man. I don’t know what is. 

• Enjoyed 19

THAT is an awesome find, congrats!!

• I Agree 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

Awesome find! I can imagine you having been really stoked when you found it! I couldn't even dream of making such a find! :default_clap2:

I do wonder how much it measures up as, as I haven't ever seen a vertebra bigger than 17cm, and expect yours to probably be somewhere in the 14cm range (just judging from the sizes of your hand and na l my phone). This is still a gigantic vertebra, and of a size that can only truly be appreciated - or so I find - in person, as these things get really massive!

Anyway, congratulations on this amazing discovery! :notworthy:

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Nice! Funny how many times the good finds happen on the way back. One of my best was after 15km out overnight, and then almost back at the car. 

that vert sure is a beast!

A biggin for sure!  Now all ya gotta do is find the rest of this beast.   I also think I've seen all of your videos. Fun to watch

RB

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1