Unidentified petrified plant stems from US

paleoflor

L.S.,

Hopefully the collective knowledge of TFF community will once again prove able to identify something that has stumped me. This time I need your help with these curious stem fragments! A good friend of mine purchased these at a mineral show on the US mainland. The specimens potentially originate from Kane County, Utah, but this provenance is far from bulletproof. It is quite likely, however, that they come from somewhere within the USA. The stems exhibit a hollow centre, with a ribbed internal surface (pith structure?). None of the specimens show nodes or other signs of axial segmentation, however. The cross-sections (both rough and weathered as well as polished) show seemingly regularly spaced vascular structures. The larger "pores", especially, are quite striking. Scale on images is in centimetres. If the Kane County provenance is correct, then a Mesozoic age seems likely. But, again, provenance is very much in question still!

Has anyone on TFF seen this type of petrified stems before? Any information you could provide would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Tim

1 Unknown stem longitudinal (1).JPG

1 Unknown stem longitudinal (2).JPG

1 Unknown stem longitudinal (3).JPG

1 Unknown stem longitudinal (4).JPG

3 unknown stem smaller round (2).JPG

• Enjoyed 1

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Very interesting; never seen anything similar.

Contact Walton (Walt) Wright. He is an expert on petrified wood and has one of the largest US collections. Talked to him once, but can’t find his number. Maybe a member knows. You might contact the society that he may belong to in Southern California: North Orange County Gem and Mineral Society. If that does not work out, PM me. I know an Arizona area collector that may have good connections.

http://www.nocgms.com/show/nocshow04/wright/wright.htm

http://www.nocgms.com/show/show.htm

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

HA! I actually contacted an expert friend for his opinion and it turned out to be the person who purchased the specimens! Small world, especially paleobotanically.

I agree that Chinlea looks like a very close match.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1