val horn

Spring break for  me  will be in mid March.  I was thinking of going out to mazon creek, but i have never been there before and have read that it is hard on newbies to the site to find the correct nodules.  Does anyone know of a club trip in that time period, or who lives near by who  would be willing to make a trip with me to one of the common public places.

We (ESCONI) have the Braceville trip in mid May.  

It can be tough, but isn't impossible for beginners.  There is plenty of information available.  Researching now is key.  Where are you coming from?  I might be able to help you.  I will be collecting there a bunch in the spring.  Need to get out before the plants grow.

Cheers,

Rich

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

I live in maryland and was thinking to come to indiana for my spring break.  Have not made  arrangements yet so i can be flexible (when you ask for help you try to make it easyfor someone to help),  Valerie 

Normally it takes 3 to four trips to "get the lay of the land". An experienced collector's help the first time around is the difference between love and hate for Mazon Creek. I would take Rich up on his offer to help. Read through all the topics on this forum by searching "mazon" if you haven't already. Mazon Creek disappoints 99.9% of all first-time collectors.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I agree with Rich and Mark . 

Collecting Pit 11 , (Mazonia ) can be , and is overwhelming to first time collectors to the site.

There are some good threads here on the forum for collecting fossils at pit 11 as well as some books on the subject.

The more you can learn, the better your chances are.

That being said, collecting with an experienced fossil hunter may be ones best opportunity of success !!

Fossil hunting at Pit 11 is also physically demanding. 2-3-4 miles of walking  up and down hills, carrying your gear and concretions.

It is a very fun hobby, and very good excersise !!

My best fossil find ever was at Pit 11 !!

Rock On !!

Phil

• Thank You 1

There are a lot of areas to hunt between Illinois and Maryland that are much better choices. West Virginia, eastern Kentucky, and eastern Ohio are all full of Carboniferous fossils. The likelihood you would be disappointed with the public Mazon Creek site is very high.

• Thank You 1