Evolution of Terrestriality in Gastropods

Misha

Hello everyone,

I've had this topic on my mind for a while now and thought I'd ask the forum to see if anyone has any knowledge or information related to this.

We all know about the various transitions to land done by plants, arthropods and most famously tetrapods but one I don't see often discussed is that of gastropods.

I wanted to ask here if anyone has any resources where I could learn more about this transition(s) I think it would be really interesting to know when, and how it happened. I don't even know if we have much information about this since snails don't tend to fossilize with something like lungs or gills but I assume there may be morphological or chemical changes within the shell that may give us clues as well as contextual ones based on the environment it was found in.

If anyone knows anything on the topic or has any helpful resources where I could learn about it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

I've never even thought about that, interesting topic!

• I Agree 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

These look promising to get the ball rolling:

Solem, A.C., Yochelson, E.L. 1979

North American Paleozoic Land Snails, with a Summary of other Paleozoic Nonmarine Snails.

United States Geological Survey, Professional Paper, 1072:1-42  PDF LINK

Ponder, W.F., Lindberg, D.R., Ponder, J.M. 2021

Biology and Evolution of the Mollusca: Volume 1.

CRC Press – Taylor & Francis Group, 900 pp.

Ponder, W.F., Lindberg, D.R., Ponder, J.M. 2021

Biology and Evolution of the Mollusca: Volume 2.

CRC Press – Taylor & Francis Group, 870 pp.

image.thumb.png.038508283f2bacdc1d2dead07c1bd367.png

text from Ponder et al. 2021 [V.2]

• I found this Informative 5

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

This paper is outstanding:

Vermeij, G.J. & Watson-Zink, V.M. 2022

Terrestrialization in Gastropods: Lineages, Ecological Constraints and Comparisons with other Animals.

Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 136(3):393-404

mail-happy-smiley.gif?1292867634 check email smiley
  • I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

12 minutes ago, piranha said:

This paper is outstanding:

Vermeij, G.J. & Watson-Zink, V.M. 2022

Terrestrialization in Gastropods: Lineages, Ecological Constraints and Comparisons with other Animals.

Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 136(3):393-404

mail-happy-smiley.gif?1292867634 check email smiley

Thank you again! This will be especially helpful, can't wait to give it a read