Is A KN-95 Mask Good Enough For Air Scribing Outdoors

Megalodoodle

I was wondering if anyone knows whether the KN-95 mask is sufficient enough for air scribing outdoors? And if it isn’t could someone recommend something that would work? I’m mostly asking this because there’s a wider variety of face mask types post-COVID compared to pre-COVID. I’d also prefer the mask to be reasonably priced and easily available.

I was fortunate when the pandemic hit that I had a case of N95 masks. I had these for prep work. I prefer this more "complicated," higher priced mask over others; because of the valve feature. That design just makes breathing easier and wearing the mask less of a chore. KN95s are similar to N95, but without the same certification. If infectious aerosols are not an immediate concern, then simple masks will suffice. For prep dust, a good fit is probably the most important variable in selection. A droopy, gapping fit is probably no better than going bare. Good luck, have fun.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

N95 is adequate. I prep a lot more than most so, I use a P100 respirator. It catches more particles than the N95 (99.7% of all particles larger than .3 microns vs. 95%) with the addition of VOC and acid vapor protection. I'm assuming you're not getting into acid preparation also. :P