Hi all. I was was hoping to get help with this one from the community. It was found in-stream near an outcropping of Pittsburg Bluff in Clatsop County, Oregon, and downstream of some Astoria Formation, both marine sediments. I have found mollusks and arthropods in the same collecting area, usually in very hard concretions. To my knowledge no marine vertebrate fossils have been found within the Pittsburg Bluff Group so if it is vertebrate I'm thinking it came down from the Astoria Formation southwest of the area. It looks and feels like bone, and is extremely porous (tongue sticks). Or it may just be a pseudofossil. Either way, thank you for the help.

PC093201.JPG

PC093187.JPG

PC093191.JPG

PC093197.JPG

PC093199.JPG

PC093179.JPG

PC093169.JPG

PC093203.JPG

I can't make out any bone structure.

Looks like weathered limestone to me and where there were cracks before the piece broke off, water seeped in and left calcite deposits seen in close up in your last photo.   

• I Agree 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Limestone if very often composed of biologically derived material (shells) so the porous nature is not unexpected.

• I Agree 1

The overall shape is suggestive, but the cross section says rock

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana