No idea but its curved and porous.

Walmart Bag

I was sifting through my old finds in Big Brook and there was this curved item that was about an inch long. I have 3 pictures attached. Big Brook is known for marine type fossils. Not sure if its even identifiable but it is porous. Any idea what it could be?KVK08783.thumb.JPG.836889fccadc7be65ce7e7606376f992.JPGKVK08782.thumb.JPG.5a1a334baeee1b6ae66de24cb937a590.JPGKVK08781.thumb.JPG.488e224e39b9ebc364f8d81368642578.JPG

It's trying to look like bone, but I don't trust it. The brooks are full of concretions that want to be fossils. :)

• I found this Informative 1

30 minutes ago, Walmart Bag said:

Haha true, I found quite a bit of concretions of my trip there

But it is very light and if I look closer there are a lot of pores, many of the concretions I found seemed to be much heavier.

20 minutes ago, Walmart Bag said:

But it is very light and if I look closer there are a lot of pores, many of the concretions I found seemed to be much heavier.

The bone pieces that I collected there were well mineralized and so quite hefty. There are younger deposits which sometimes show up in the brooks though. Some of the locals should be along eventually.

• I found this Informative 1

My initial feeling was petrified wood (just collected a bunch this summer in the Blue Forest and had very similar pieces) but unlikely at BIg Brook. Can you provide a close up showing the porous structure. It will help the experts provide their best identification.

Mike

2 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

My initial feeling was petrified wood (just collected a bunch this summer in the Blue Forest and had very similar pieces) but unlikely at BIg Brook. Can you provide a close up showing the porous structure. It will help the experts provide their best identification.

Mike

Hey Mike, yup I can take some close up photos of the porous structure, gimme a few mins

It is definitely porous, im not sure if the image I attached was alright. When I stick it to my tounge it does stick for quite a while, google said that was one way to distinguish small marine fossils from plain rock.

Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 9.47.05 PM.png