Which higher quality fossils will become harder to obtain in the future?

Ginger0412

Which higher quality fossils will become harder to obtain in the future? Both are excellent quality fossils, but I'm thinking of buying the one that will be harder to obtain in the future. Could you tell me anyone? I would appreciate it if you could tell me. I appreciate everyone's comments! thank you very much!

Oviraptor egg Carcharodontosaurus tooth

m39296564143_1.thumb.jpg.277178416aead97cb5e9837b60920a97.jpg

Ovirator egg.png

It is perhaps far too speculative. Laws have a tendency to change, which might affect the collection and trafficking of fossils. Some areas might get tapped out, yet on the other hand new areas might open up that yield an abundance of specimens where previously there were few. It would be best if you just buy what you like and not be too concerned about what the future may hold. Just as one cannot time the stock market, the same may be said of the fossil market. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I think high quality dinosaur fossils are hard to obtain today so availability will only continue to worsted as demand increases and collecting sites decline.   One should acquire what you like, when you see it, and not try to speculate on the future or wait for something better.   I like to collect high quality dinosaur fossils but rare fossils are not necessarily found in that condition so I believe rarity is more of a future challenge.   The definition of high Q also varies from individual to individual.

• I found this Informative 3

Try not to think too far ahead. I have severe anxiety, so I felt relieved after being taught. However, since Morocco has banned the export of fossils, will it be possible to import them again in the future?

16 minutes ago, Ginger0412 said:

Try not to think too far ahead. I have severe anxiety, so I felt relieved after being taught. However, since Morocco has banned the export of fossils, will it be possible to import them again in the future?

Anything is possible, but seeing as no one here is responsible for setting that country’s legislation regarding exports, you may as well invest in a crystal ball. :P 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

21 minutes ago, Ginger0412 said:

Morocco has banned the export of fossils

?!?!? Please cite the details of this assertion. I had not heard of this. Thank you. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

12 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

?!?!? Please cite the details of this assertion. I had not heard of this. Thank you. 

Looks like it's more recent application of old laws.  There are still tons of moroccan fossils on the market so unclear if this a trend.

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, snolly50 said:

I just feel like I've heard it somewhere before. I don't know because it's a vague recollection. sorry.

The last four parcels of fossils that I have tried to send out of Morocco have been seized by customs and returned to me twice. 

On the third attempt, two of them arrived at their destinations, though one had been ripped open and some of the contents were missing. 

The other two were returned to me and I was told I have to have permission from The Ministry of Mines. 

I have tried to contact TMOM hundreds of times over the past year and a half by letter, by phone and by e-mail and have had no response of any  kind. 

Parcels coming in have also been seized and two returned to sender. One of these was then sent back and arrived with no problem. Another is currently being held by Customs and they also won't reply to me. Another is in Fes, but they won't deliver and various offices say it isn't with them, it's with so and so who also will then deny they have it. Yet another parcel vanished for three months and then arrived as if nothing had happened. 

Still others have arrived safely in quick time. 

I don't know what is going on, but because of this, I couldn't risk playing Secret Santa this year. :shakehead:

Before this I have sent and received hundreds of parcels over the previous several years with virtually no problem at all. 

• I found this Informative 6

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

@Tidgy's Dad Thank you for the first hand report. Your experience makes the difficulties very real. I'm a little surprised the government would take such an action. It would seem that fossil mining/sales is a cottage industry in Morocco. It appears restrictions would strangle persons dependent on the trade. 

• I Agree 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

4 hours ago, Ginger0412 said:

I have not seen any Moroccan impact on what has been available from the dinosaur sidem in the open marketm since the ban.   The 2022 Tucson and Denver shows appeared to be business as usual.  I believe the focus has been with articulated specimens versus isolated items.   We will get another read in a couple of months when the Tucson shows opens in late January.

5 hours ago, Ginger0412 said:

Which higher quality fossils will become harder to obtain in the future? Both are excellent quality fossils, but I'm thinking of buying the one that will be harder to obtain in the future. Could you tell me anyone? I would appreciate it if you could tell me. I appreciate everyone's comments! thank you very much!

Oviraptor egg Carcharodontosaurus tooth

m39296564143_1.thumb.jpg.277178416aead97cb5e9837b60920a97.jpg

Ovirator egg.png

This question is asked on forums devoted to other hobbies?  What should I buy today that will be worth more or will be harder to find tomorrow?  You can go crazy trying to predict that.  You end up mostly guessing wrong and with a bunch of fossils you don't really want.  Take the advice that says "Buy what you like."  I see too many people saying they are buying collectibles for investment purposes.  That's a huge mistake.  It's a lot more likely that when you're ready to sell, few will want to buy what you are selling and they're going to want to pay close to what you bought it for.  Think about that.

I was in a comic book store and the owner was bragging that he had rare comics as an investment.  His problem is that he might have rare comics but is he going to have a buyer who wants his particular comics when he's ready to sell.  This area is prone to earthquakes.  In the event of one worse than Loma Prieta in 1989, will his fabulous collection be under a burning pile of rubble or will it be safe only to find that a lot of other people are selling their rare comics at the same time with fewer people interested in them in the future. 

I try to catch "Antiques Roadshow" when I can and the show will repeat an episode from 10-25 years ago, with updated edits to show you what the items was appraised for then and what it's worth now.  Some stuff doubles in value; some drops to less than half.  You'd think that nice furniture from George Washington's time would only rise in value but it has risen and dipped over time too.  It's hard to say what hipsters and real collectors are going to be into thirty years from now.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, snolly50 said:

@Tidgy's Dad Thank you for the first hand report. Your experience makes the difficulties very real. I'm a little surprised the government would take such an action. It would seem that fossil mining/sales is a cottage industry in Morocco. It appears restrictions would strangle persons dependent on the trade. 

I'm really bewildered by it all. 

For one of the parcels coming in, I and the sender did get e-mail responses from Casablanca customs saying the Ministry Of Mines must give a valuation on the fossils contained within the parcel. I don't know why, for potential tax purposes, I guess as the law on taxes paid for goods entering the country has recently changed. 

For another parcel coming into Morocco, I and the sender had to send an explanation of what the contents were and why the parcel was being sent. No valuation was asked for. We explained it was just fossils collected by the sender and sent as a gift to another collector and they were fine with that and released the parcel. But it was seized again in Fes and I have been unable to locate it.  

Edited by Tidgy's Dad
  • I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png