Nanjemoy MD fossil or nothin?

MGooden

I found this at the beach at Purse State Park in Nanjemoy MD. I don’t know what it is but it’s a metallic material. Wondered if anyone could help identify?

776F6A0A-FDC7-4B5E-8F6A-F146093F8715.jpeg

72355E82-6BA2-436E-BE5F-C405CDB875DD.jpeg

B3FA2FFA-4E2E-4F20-ABA3-B41366F51815.jpeg

C4E65D8A-79CC-4AB8-AD9F-244D2573AFEF.jpeg

3 hours ago, M Harvey said:

Sure looks like a piece of slag.   A by-product of working with iron.  Fits with your description of metallic.  

That makes sense. Somewhere I had seen online some metal looking thing that said Garfish; but I can't find where I saw that, and someone said that's not right. 

52 minutes ago, MGooden said:

Thank you!

I have trouble seeing colors. Is this more iron grey, or is there a copper like look to it ? The latter is what I thought.

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

I have trouble seeing colors. Is this more iron grey, or is there a copper like look to it ? The latter is what I thought.

More iron grey. Here is a better lighting pic, I hope. 

2BD6AF6A-9A24-4FC6-9EA8-B5E00F94DEFD.jpeg

C18E7510-B27B-44A3-A330-4E6676717685.jpeg

It still just doesn't look like slag to me. And I don't recall seeing any in the Potomac. Carbonized wood is relatively common there, and is elsewhere found in association with pyrite concretion.  

15 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

It still just doesn't look like slag to me. And I don't recall seeing any in the Potomac. Carbonized wood is relatively common there, and is elsewhere found in association with pyrite concretion.  

I’m totally clueless so I have to take what you all say and go with it. I assume either way, it’s not a very exciting find, right? Trash?

24 minutes ago, MGooden said:

I’m totally clueless so I have to take what you all say and go with it. I assume either way, it’s not a very exciting find, right? Trash?

:Confused05: I'm perhaps not the best person to give advice there. I probably bring home way too much.

It looks like melted aluminum...maybe from a drink container.  If melted in a campfire, it could have partially enclosed a piece of charcoal.

• I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

17 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

:Confused05: I'm perhaps not the best person to give advice there. I probably bring home way too much.

Haha that is OK! I'm just SO new I think I'm picking up things that mean something and it's probably a melted coke can, like the person below said. I think it's awesome what you guys know about this stuff!

• Enjoyed 1

8 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

It looks like melted aluminum...maybe from a drink container.  If melted in a campfire, it could have partially enclosed a piece of charcoal.

that could be too! I don't know why I felt compelled to pick it up; it just seemed odd and out of place, but not obvious trash, ya know?

• Enjoyed 1