How challenging will it be to top or match the prep quality of this Keichousaurus?

Roses

Hello! I am brand new to fossils but fell for the Keichousaurus. After combing through old Fossil Forum posts on different prep methods, I’ve been on the hunt for a nicely prepared specimen. I found this one from a friendly, reputable seller and the prep looks great compared to everything else I can find online. However I’m looking for a dorsal specimen ideally, and this one is not exactly cheap. How hard will it be to match this prep quality in a dorsal specimen? Are we talking years of looking for a similarly nice piece or do they pop up fairly regularly?

E66E3CB7-9463-40CB-8B30-19F2045E30A8.jpeg

EA910F92-C392-4030-A377-71025293F84C.jpeg

0018BC9F-4B37-4801-AFF5-682C9F82B780.jpeg

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

This is indeed a quite nicely prepped specimen. You are on a good way obtaining only good specimens.

Unfortunately, I can not answer your question.

Franz Bernhard

45 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

This is indeed a quite nicely prepped specimen. You are on a good way obtaining only good specimens.

Unfortunately, I can not answer your question.

Franz Bernhard

Thank you so much Franz! It’s reassuring to know I’m on the right track. Just don’t want to beat myself up a year (or five) from now for passing on this specimen if it’s extremely difficult to find another of the same prep quality :)

• Thank You 1

5 minutes ago, Roses said:

Just don’t want to beat myself up a year (or five) from now for passing on this specimen if it’s extremely difficult to find another of the same prep quality

I completely understand this. But there is also the possibility to replace a good specimen for a better one later. Sometimes with monetary loss, sometimes even with some gain.

Have you looked for unprepped Keicho specimens? They are out there and you can have them prepped professionally (air scribe, air abrasion) in the US. Sure it costs something, but maybe its something to consider?

The specimen you have shown above shows signs of wire brush prep, which is not the first choice in prepping these fossils. But at least it was done quite carefully.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

Great point! Hopefully this specimen will wait around for a bit while I make up my mind on it :)

This seller actually has a couple unprepared specimens - juvenile and adult - and does his own acid prep (I believe he did this one, so he must have supplemented with the wire brush?). I am interested in the unprepared specimens but a bit intimidated by trying to find a good professional preparer. Is there an index somewhere or is that something I can ask about on the forum?

6 hours ago, Roses said:

and does his own acid prep (I believe he did this one, so he must have supplemented with the wire brush?)

Oh well, yes, I noticed also signs of acid prep (the layered-flaky appearance of the matrix in some spots), but also lots of "brush strokes". He may have used acid to weaken the matrix and then brushing it away?

6 hours ago, Roses said:

I am interested in the unprepared specimens

There are some top-notch preppers here on TFF and you can ask here.

Before you buy an unprepped specimen, please show it off here - but only via PM.

Another aspect: The Keichos are sitting in different matrices. These matrices are called "stell plate", "hard plate" and "soft plate". I am expecting, that these are prepping in quite different ways.

Btw, I have no personal experience with such specimens (I don´t own one) but I am fascinated, how abundant and nice they are. And horrified, how often they are prepped to death a second time. So other members will perhaps rectify some of my babbling, for example @Crazyhen. Thanks!

Franz Bernhard

9 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Another aspect: The Keichos are sitting in different matrices. These matrices are called "stell plate", "hard plate" and "soft plate". I am expecting, that these are prepping in quite different ways.

Btw, I have no personal experience with such specimens (I don´t own one) but I am fascinated, how abundant and nice they are. And horrified, how often they are prepped to death a second time.

Thank you so much Franz! It is so lovely of you to educate me - I really appreciate it. I’d love to know what the different mineral compositions of the matrices tend to be if you happen to know? I agree, it’s so sad to see all the beautifully positioned complete skeletons that have been ground down to nothing.

• Enjoyed 1

25 minutes ago, Roses said:

I’d love to know what the different mineral compositions of the matrices tend to be if you happen to know?

No, sorry, I don´t know. Have tried googling a little bit, but unsuccessful. As there are calcite veins running through the slabs, the matrix may also contain some calcite (besides quartz, clay minerals, etc.), making acid prep (with HCl, for example) possible. The article below states, that a combination of acid and brush prep is mostly used in China:

Keichosaurus

But you may already know that article ;).

Franz Bernhard

On 12/15/2022 at 4:10 PM, FranzBernhard said:

Oh well, yes, I noticed also signs of acid prep (the layered-flaky appearance of the matrix in some spots), but also lots of "brush strokes". He may have used acid to weaken the matrix and then brushing it away?

There are some top-notch preppers here on TFF and you can ask here.

Before you buy an unprepped specimen, please show it off here - but only via PM.

Btw, I have no personal experience with such specimens (I don´t own one) but I am fascinated, how abundant and nice they are. And horrified, how often they are prepped to death a second time. So other members will perhaps rectify some of my babbling, for example @Crazyhen. Thanks!

Franz Bernhard

Franz, what you said is right.  In the Keich's locality, locals use basically three types of prepping 1: acid washing and brushing (for steel/hard plate) 2: manual prepping (for semi-hard/soft plate) 3: air pen (very seldom used).  Of course, for "natural form", you don't need prepping at all.

The best specimens are "natural form" in clean plate, but they are less commonly available in the market, like the small juvenile below.

IMG_9435.JPG

• Thank You 1