Pleistocene-Holocene distribution of large Eagles and Hawks (Accipitridae) on island environments

Joseph Fossil

After doing some research a few weeks back on the distribution of the extinct Haast's eagle (Hieraaetus moorei), I discovered there was a much larger array of large Accipitridae on island environments than I previously realized (the result of island gigantism) during the Pleistocene-Early Holocene. Sadly, many of these animals are now extinct asa result of direct human hunting or hunting of their food sources by the early-late Holocene. I've decided to make a quick list of all those I've identified, which hopefully can demonstrate the diversity these magnificent animals had during the Pleistocene-Early Holocene. Let me know if I forget any examples.

New Zealand - Haast's eagle (Hieraaetus moorei) (Pleistocene-late Holocene (At least 1450 A.D.))

Eyles's Harrier (Circus teauteensis) (Pleistocene-Holocene)

Crete - Cretan subspecies of the Golden Eagle (Aquila chrysaetos simurgh) (late Pleistocene)

Cuba - Gigantohierax suarezi (Holocene) (0.012-0.005 years ago)

Gigantohierax itchei (Holocene) (0.012-0.005 years ago)

Borras's eagle-hawk (Buteogallus borrasi) (Pleistocene-early Holocene)

Bahamas - Bahamian Titan Hawk (Titanohierax gloveralleni) (Pleistocene-Holocene)

Hispaniolan Titan Hawk (Titanohierax sp.) (Pleistocene-Holocene)

New Caledonia - Powerful goshawk (Accipiter efficax)

Madagascar - Malagasy crowned eagle (Stephanoaetus mahery) (Pleistocene-late Holocene (at least 1500 A.D.))

Hawaii - Haliaeetus sp. (either new Haliaeetus species or a subspecies of the extant White-tailed Eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla)) (Pleistocene-Holocene)

What do you guys think?

• Enjoyed 1

• 3 months later...

Also, just found out about a newly discovered eagle species from the late Pleistocene of Australia named Gaff's powerful eagle (Dynatoaetus gaffae). The species Dynatoaetus gaffae is a massive eagle, with a wingspan of around 3 meters (9.8 feet) in length.

Here's the Paper describing the finding of Dynatoaetus gaffae

https://doi.org/10.1007/s10336-023-02055-x

Australia - Gaff's powerful eagle (Dynatoaetus gaffae) (late Pleistocene)

Even though Australia is a Continent, it's technically an Island Continent so this new eagle species could still technically count as part of the large Pleistocene-Holocene Eagles and Hawks (Accipitridae) on island environments.