A Few Finds in the Ordovician of Iowa to ID

minnbuckeye

A post was made a few weeks ago showing the Decorah Shale finds during my last fossil hunt of the year. During that trip, a section of Stewartville/Galena/Ordovician was visited too and I just finished processing my finds. In the bucket were a few unknowns that I am hoping to make known!!!

1. My guess is likely correct for this one. Beekite? I notice on the picture that that a piece of Isotelus trilobite is peeking out in the lower left corner and is probably the reason for the beekite formation. I have searched through Galena countless times and have not run into this before.

DSC_0509-001.thumb.JPG.0eb3ecd3b0a7e2c5a9edb9cdfb1e6bfb.JPG

2. This one has a distinct ridge running down it and has more subtle ridges running perpendicular to the central ridge. They are difficult to see in the photo.

2022-12-023.thumb.jpg.8dcfd29cd7a824d5cb6e2e7b92fe79f9.jpg

3. This small almost circular fossil (4mm) has a peculiar ridge down its center.

2022-12-026.thumb.jpg.cd022334aadd21e3e1583f3d7a7776a9.jpg

4. Finally, this "cross" measures 8 mm. It does not appear to have characteristic of a bryozoan on its surface. If it is part of a deeper fossil, I was wanting to know what it was before I explore further with my Dremel.

DSC_0504-001.thumb.JPG.add6be2e11e13840d378f878af96dbfc.JPG