Kendall

Hello all! This is my first post, so forgive me. I found this near a small stream in a hiking spot called LimeKiln in Porter Ranch, California, Los Angeles County. 
I know nothing about the area, and while I’ve heard that LimeKiln used to be a lime quarry I don’t even know what lime looks like so I’d rather not guess as to what sorts of rocks are nearby. 
Anyway, is this an actual fossil? It feels heavy like a rock, not light like bone. If so, any ideas as to what it might be? 
Please forgive my hand holding video with no measurements. I will dig up a ruler tomorrow, but for tonight I’m just so excited about this I’m posting anyway, just in case what I have found is super obvious. Forgive me, I’ll do better next time!

I really appreciate you looking at this thing I’ve found. It’s been on my list to find a fossil for a very long time. Hopefully this is it!

Welcome, Kendall!  We will be happy to look at your find, but can you please upload the pictures in .jpeg format?  Thanks!

• I Agree 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

I'm thinking coral as well.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Really? So it’s probably an actual coral fossil? I’m so excited! I cant believe I found a real fossil! Haha I feel like a kid again I’m so happy about this. Thank you guys! 

If the verdict is indeed coral, is there a resource to help figure out what type it might be? Or does anyone have any guess? 
Thank you again! :)

I got the speleothem (in the widest sense) vibe for this one. But a strongly recrystallized colonial coral can not be excluded, of course.

Can you see any signs of septa etc? I can imagine some in some spots, but I am far from sure!
Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you all for your input! Franz, I’m over here googling what septa are. :D This is the level of newbie you are dealing with. 

I can imagine the sort of up-and-down lines on one side being septa, but it seems like septa look more obviously rod-shaped. I’m out of my league!

• Thank You 1

@Kendall, please have a close look at the surface of the 4th pic. Are you seeing some radial structures, even very faint and incomplete, within the bumps?

Here is a link to an article with some useful pics already at the beginning:

Corals

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • I found this Informative 1