Is this stag beetle amber?

Ginger0412

Is this stag beetle amber? barmite Myanmar product If anyone knows, please let me know. Thank you so much to everyone on the forums. Thank you.i-img314x400-1641719485on58pt8704.jpg.136098cc0a65c97da78049f55270fde7.jpgi-img640x480-1641719498dtqyrq9144.jpg.6ccc9c94e03bd25dd250709c2fef5244.jpg

It is a variety of stag beetle. And looks good to be amber. But the only way to tell if its really amber is to test it. Best test is with a black light. There are also a hot needle test, salt water test, etc. stag beetles have been found in bermese amber.

• Thank You 1

From the amber I have , looks to be amber. Looks to be beetle and looks similar to the bess beetle we have as adults of 1.25 cm, but just a guess of genus.

Thank you both for your reply. What I want to ask is whether the insect in this amber is a stag beetle. It seems that the translation was a little strange. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience.

Hello Ginger0412,

English is not my first language either, so at first when reading "stag beetle" I thought of the ones with huge mandibles.

But looking up the term, your fossil could well be a female or a closely related species with smaller mandibles. With the incredible diversity of beetles, I cannot say for sure though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stag_beetle

Best regards,

J

Edited by Mahnmut
spelling
  • I Agree 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

This is something you'd probably want to ask an entomologist over a paleontologist, I think.

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2022 at 8:00 AM, Meganeura said:

This is something you'd probably want to ask an entomologist over a paleontologist, I think.

I would agree there. The amount of diversity in amber species makes it very difficult to pin down specifically. 

And definitely good amber there - I think you got that one from me ;-).