Real or fake spinosaurus tooth? (New member)

Maxaurus

Hello,

my name is Max and I will begin collecting fossils. My passion for fossils and especially dinosaurs started when I was a child. I had lots of dinosaur toys, watched a lot of movies and documentations, studied facts about them and felt like a paleontologist with my excavation kits. My fascination for this prehistoric world has never been estinguished.

That's why I decided to buy a tooth of a spinosaurus, which is one of my favorites. Before buying I have read some "real or fake"-topics here in the forum but I am still not sure if the tooth I'd like to buy is real, composited from different teeth or even fake. The tooth is very large (15.5cm) thats why I thought it could possibly be composited to increase the size. The selling shop states that the tooth was repaired.

Would greatly appreciate any help from you. Thank you.

Max

44197460_Spinosaurustooth.thumb.JPG.389d1400fd9e455eacc56df12f4f1c39.JPG

The root area has matrix on it which possibly indicates a composite.  Do you have additional photos so we can see all sides?

Hi Maxaurus,

Hmm, this does not look good sorry to say. It has a little preserved tooth bellow the tip, but the tip itself partly and the bottom root part is all altered/composed from the first gimpse.

Better photos will help, but its more than likely, I would suggest returning it if you have the chance. They are pretty common , and you can find much better ones out there.

Here are additional pictures. The exposure is different on the auction (compared to the above picture from the website).

Thank you.

6.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

picture website.JPG

35 minutes ago, Phos_01 said:

Hi Maxaurus,

Hmm, this does not look good sorry to say. It has a little preserved tooth bellow the tip, but the tip itself partly and the bottom root part is all altered/composed from the first gimpse.

Better photos will help, but its more than likely, I would suggest returning it if you have the chance. They are pretty common , and you can find much better ones out there.

Hi,

thanks for your fast response. Yes you're right, I also contacted the seller and he recently responded and said that the bottom root part was broken.

Hopefully the photos I uploaded help you. I wanted to buy this tooth because I got a very good offer in my opinion. And I think I rather prefer a larger tooth with some flaws (looks more natural in my eyes) than a much smaller one which looks better. But both shouldn't be composited of hundreds of teeth.

To be frank an ugly tooth.

A lot is going on with that tooth including added tip and areas of restoration, I circled one on the carina plus fill in the root area.   I don't see a defined transition between crown and root and the sides don't flow smoothly.  Lots of work on the root.

Yes its big but  there are a lot better ones in the market, probably for more money.  

1672168416721.thumb.jpg.dfad3895f71c52601909ac5dd3882482.jpg

30 minutes ago, Maxaurus said:

I got a very good offer in my opinion

You did not. Trust me in the future you will be happy to passed on this one. It has very little authentic Spinosaurid tooth apparent. This tooth is 15% real and 85% composite to put it this way. In my opinion it is better to own a smaller but good fossil than a large composite or enhanced one.

it takes time to find nice fossils. You will learn allong the way, hopefully you will find a nice one. 

Thank you a lot Troodon for your illustration. These are small details which aren't visible for a newbies eyes.

12 minutes ago, Phos_01 said:

You did not. Trust me in the future you will be happy to passed on this one. It has very little authentic Spinosaurid tooth apparent. This tooth is 15% real and 85% composite to put it this way. In my opinion it is better to own a smaller but good fossil than a large composite or enhanced one.

it takes time to find nice fossils. You will learn allong the way, hopefully you will find a nice one. 

Yeah I guess you're right, thank you! I neglected that a large tooth could be a composite. 

Then I will wait for a better one. Thanks for your help guys :)

• I Agree 1