Is it real? Crocodile tooth, eocene, Morocco

Laleja

Hello everyone,

I am very glad to have found this forum, as I have no knowledge at all about fossils.

I got a fossil and wonder if it's real.

The information I was given:

It is meant to be a crocodile tooth from Morocco of the eocene. The person I got it from bought it 15 years ago from moroccan sellers in Germany. It was the first time they brought crocodile teeth with them (but other fossils before).

Do you think it is real? To me it looks as if the crocodile went to the dentist's just a few weeks ago?

If it's a real fossil I also would be very glad to get an ID - shoud I open another thread in the ID section?

Thank you in advance!!

Laleja

WIN_20221228_15_08_35_Pro.thumb.jpg.f0873a7157cea0bcd96231c677b315b7.jpgWIN_20221228_15_07_21_Pro.thumb.jpg.38a28ac39cb24f3df126980350eb7b2f.jpg

Oh, no crocodile then! That's interesting - and a pity for me, because I adore crocodiles - but I'm glad to know!

And yes, I also think it's a nice tooth, and I will read about Enchodus now.

Thank you so much for your help!

Laleja

Yep definitely an Enchodus fang. They're a cool fossil to collect, a fish that had some massive fangs up front - a fearsome predator but also prey to larger, scarier predators like Mosasaurs.
This is the largest Enchodus fang in my collection 

20210820_011739.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

Thank you for the confirmation - and the photos of your Enchodus fangs, they look wonderful. And huge!

Mine is a little over 5 cm (without the bone fragment).

I'm enchanted by it.

And really grateful for the replies from all over the world, so helpful and friendly.

• Enjoyed 1