What is this?

Melissa120

My partner gave me this Fossil that he found as a child behind his home in Allegany NY in a creek in the early 1990's. No idea what it is or if it is even real. 

IMG20221227184457.jpg

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

Strange! This is a man-made object, and just an allusion of a real fossil. As far as I can remember, these things are common in China?

Anyways, how did this end up in a creek? And I think, your partner is poking a little bit of fun at you - the condition is much too good to have been found in a creek.

Please, tell us the background story ;).

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 4

I agree. Definetly a fake. Not even close to what a real bone or fossil would look like. You see these quite often online. I’d would also like to hear the backstory…

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 4

There isn't much more to the story!

My partner told me that when he was about 7years old (1996) when he found this fossil in his back yard in a creek. He is fully under the impression it is legit, I might not even break the news to him that it's man-made!

• Enjoyed 1

what a lovely one, definitely man-made. I have seen many well done ones from China, but yours is a bit different. Looks like that it has been not done by the classic artists there...

Can you tell us if it has a stone as underground?

thanks

Maybe his parents planted it there for him to find. I know I’ve passed by many fossils so my son could find them, when he was younger. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

5 hours ago, Melissa120 said:

Contacted his parents, they said he found fossils in that creek all the time and that they didn't plant any. 

Does he still have some of the other fossils? Would you/he like to show some of them off here?
Franz Bernhard

This topic shows another fake fossil that looks very similar,

As @Misha said, "This isn't even cast from a real fossil, instead this is a miniature replica of a Permian Cotylorhynchus fossil, the general shape and position was based on that fossil. But even so, it is not anatomically accurate to Cotylorhynchus and is obviously much smaller than the original"

Here's the original,

Cotylorhynchus_romeri.thumb.jpg.f1cebe9d23532a5d9119602dac57cc2b.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

53 minutes ago, MrR said:

With fossils, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

With the exception of these weird, 15 million year old gastropods ;):

Theodoxus_OisnitzSW1_Zusammenstellung.jpg

(Sorry, could not resist, just showed them off in a pm. Mods, feel free to delete this post!)
Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 4
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

With the exception of these weird, 15 million year old gastropods ;):

Theodoxus_OisnitzSW1_Zusammenstellung.jpg

(Sorry, could not resist, just showed them off in a pm. Mods, feel free to delete this post!)
Franz Bernhard

Those look like they could have been inhabited last week. Amazing find. 

• Thank You 1