First attempt at new book cover

Arizona Chris

Hi all,

I am working on a new book about Arizona Permian fossils and geology.  Just started today on some concepts for the cover.  Here is what I have right now.  Suggestions or thoughts on how to make more enticing?  

Testcover1.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

I also think a different font would be cool for the words. I think it will make it stick out more. Overall, it looks pretty good though.

I used to operate a publishing house, and one thing I can say here is that the image is good. I think the text needs to be adjusted, though. Your name might be better placed near the bottom quarter of the cover. Increase the font size of your name a bit, too, if not all uppercase and matching the main title. The "Exploring the" should be properly centered against the text below it. Optionally, you could move the subtitle down closer to the bottom as well. 

I'm not sure if you will be publishing this in paper form, but it does look like you have enough bleed on the outer margins.

In terms of font colour, there are some options. The white does pop with the translucent background on the main title, but is slightly washed out where it is overlain on the image itself. 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Add a trilobite. :D

Also maybe try to get the animals to blend into the background image a bit more, particularly the yellow horn coral to the right of the crinoid.

It already looks really good though, and an interesting topic!

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

thanks everyone for your suggestions!  this is quite early in the project, and I thought Id throw the concept your way to get some feed back.  I intend to add colored marine invertebrates to this image, representing the actual fauna we found.  And yeah, a few trilobites will be added too.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html